Atomic Number & Orbital Energy: Explained

In summary, the book discusses how the attractive force between the nucleus and the outer shell electrons increases with an increase in nuclear charge. This results in a decrease in the energy of interaction between the two, which is known as orbital energy. This can be further explained as a more attractive potential, leading to a decrease in binding energy. These concepts are important to understand in the context of conservation of energy.
kay
My book here says that ' Despite the shielding of the outer electrons from the nucleus by the inner shell electrons, the attractive force experienced by the outer shell electrons increases with increase of nuclear charge. In other words, the energy of interaction between the nucleus and electron (that is orbital energy) decreases (that is more negative) with the increase of atomic number. '
Now i understood the first part. But whatever is said after 'in other words', i am not able to understand what is said here.
How is more attractive force synonymous to decrease of energy of interaction b/w nucleus and electron?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, if your potential is more attractive you binding energy will decrease. You must keep in mind that the binding energy is negative, hence it's decrease it's actually associated with the increase of its magnitude.

I could not get you. :|
Idk what is potential or binding energy.
PS- I'm just a student of 11th grade.

kay said:
Idk what is potential or binding energy.

Potential energy is the stored energy in a system by virtue of its position. For example an apple sitting on a table has energy by virtue of the fact it is above the floor. Remove the table and it falls to the floor converting the potential energy to kinetic energy.

Binding energy is the energy required to dissemble a system into its constituent parts.

It's also probably a good idea to become familiar with what energy is in a general sense:
http://physwiki.ucdavis.edu/Classic..._Mass_and_Energy/Noether's_Theorem_for_Energy

Thanks
Bill

Related to Atomic Number & Orbital Energy: Explained

1. What is an atomic number?

An atomic number is the number of protons in the nucleus of an atom. It is represented by the letter Z and determines the element's identity.

2. How is the atomic number related to the number of electrons?

The atomic number also tells us the number of electrons in a neutral atom. In an atom, the number of electrons is equal to the number of protons, so the atomic number also represents the number of electrons.

3. What is the significance of orbital energy?

Orbital energy refers to the energy level or shell of an electron in an atom. Electrons closer to the nucleus have lower energy levels, while those farther away have higher energy levels. This energy is important in determining an atom's stability and reactivity.

4. How do atomic numbers and orbital energy relate to the periodic table?

The periodic table is arranged in order of increasing atomic number, with elements in the same row having the same number of electron shells. The columns in the table also correspond to elements with similar chemical properties due to their similar electron configurations.

5. Can the atomic number or orbital energy of an element change?

The atomic number of an element cannot change unless it undergoes a nuclear reaction. However, the orbital energy of an electron can change when an atom gains or loses energy, such as during a chemical reaction or when exposed to external energy sources.