Atomic Physics: Quantization axis

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with a linearly polarized monochromatic wave incident on an atom and the effect of a perpendicular magnetic field. The speaker is seeking feedback and hints for finding a solution, specifically in the Voigt configuration.
Niles

Homework Statement

Hi

I have a question - it is not homework, but something I have thought about for a long time. I really can't come up with a solution to the problem, and it is driving me crazy. Here is the problem:

Say I have a linearly polarized monochromatic wave incident on an atom. The k-vector and the E-vector of the light form a right angle. Now say I apply a magnetic field, but such that it is perpendicular to both k and E. My problem is that I don't know what transition will be driven in the atom.

The B-field defines the quantization axis. But somehow I need to decompose the E-field such that it points along B. What is the strategy for doing this?

I would be very happy to get some feedback/hints.

Niles.

Physics news on Phys.org
What you described above is Voigt configuration. In your case when magnetic field is perpendicular to the electric vector and k- vector of a light, the total angular momentum Mj=±1.

Related to Atomic Physics: Quantization axis

1. What is the concept of quantization axis in atomic physics?

Quantization axis is a fundamental concept in atomic physics that refers to the preferred direction or orientation in which an atom's properties, such as energy levels, angular momentum, and magnetic moments, are measured or observed. It is often represented by a vector along which the atom's properties are quantized, or restricted to discrete values.

2. How is the quantization axis determined in an atom?

The quantization axis in an atom is determined by its external environment, such as an external electric or magnetic field. These external fields can influence the atom's orientation and alignment, leading to the quantization of its properties along a specific axis.

3. Can the quantization axis change in an atom?

Yes, the quantization axis in an atom can change in the presence of external fields or interactions with other atoms. This change in axis can result in the splitting or shifting of energy levels and other properties, leading to different behaviors and characteristics of the atom.

4. How does the quantization axis affect the behavior of atoms?

The quantization axis plays a crucial role in determining the behavior and properties of atoms. It affects the energy levels and transitions of electrons, the direction of atomic spin and magnetic moments, and the interactions between atoms. The orientation of the quantization axis can also impact the atomic spectra and the emission or absorption of light.

5. Is the concept of quantization axis limited to atomic physics?

No, the concept of quantization axis is not limited to atomic physics. It also applies to other fields of physics, such as nuclear physics, quantum mechanics, and condensed matter physics. In these fields, the quantization axis may refer to the preferred direction of quantization in particles, molecules, or solid materials.