Attatchment depicts a truck which has a centre of mass C

In summary, The problem involves finding the maximum acceleration of a front wheel drive truck with a defined center of mass and coefficient of friction between the tires and the road. The driver wants to find the maximum acceleration in the positive x direction. The conversation discusses various equations and approaches to solving the problem, including using Newton's Second Law and D'Alembert's principle. The final solution involves summing the forces and moments in the x direction to solve for the necessary variables.
framehead
Hello. Could someone possibly help me with this question?
1. The problem:

The attatchment depicts a truck which has a centre of mass C.

• The truck is front wheel drive.
• The geometrical position of C is defined.
• The coefficient of friction between the tyres and the road is μ.
• Neglect the moment of inertia of the wheels.

The driver wants to find the maximum acceleration of the vehicle in the positive x direction.
Show the maximum acceleration of the truck is given by;

http://www.imagefilez.com/out.php/i279772_13.jpg

I have no idea how to do this question but here is my attempt at a solution:
[tex]\Sigma[/tex]Mb=0; mgb-Na(a-b)=0
[tex]\Sigma[/tex]Fy=0; Nb+Na-Mg=0
[tex]\Sigma[/tex]Fx=0; ah-[tex]\mu[/tex]h=0

and that's about where I'm at at the moment and I know I'm totally wrong! I would appreciate anybodys help.

Attachments

• 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 345
Physics news on Phys.org

For there to be a maximum acceleration, doesn't there have to be a maximum [tex]\Sigma[/tex]Fx value? Meaning, shouldn't [tex]\Sigma[/tex]Fx not be 0?

Your equations need some work for sure. The Fy forces add to zero, but the Fx force is not zero, as moemoney notes. When the truck accelerates, the force that causes the acceleration is the static friction force between the front (front wheel drive) tires and the road. Without this friction, the truck could not move. Because the c.m. of the vehicle is above the tires, this force at road surface tends to rotate the vehicle about the c.m. in a counterclockwise direction, causing the vehicle to lift off the front tires and resulting in less normal force ( and less available friction force) on those tires. To solve this problem, a bit of advanced knowledge is necessary. You should replace the friction force at the front tires with an equivalent force and ccw couple acting at the c.m. Then calculate the normal force at the front tires due to both the vehicle weight and the couple, and apply Newton 2 at the c.m. to solve for x double dot.

framehead: d'Alembert's principle says, the mass times acceleration can be represented as a horizontal force Fcx acting to the left at point C. There is also a horizontal, frictional force that the road applies to the front tyres, Fbx, acting to the right. And, as you know, there is a vertical force m*g at point C, and a vertical force Nb at point b. Now perform summation(Fx) = 0, and summation(Ma) = 0.

As the acceleration increases, Nb decreases. The maximum possible acceleration is when finally Fbx = mu*Nb.

I appreciate everybodys help but i still seem to be getting nowhere. This is what I've got from all the advice given:
[tex]\Sigma[/tex]M(x)c=0=R1a-R2b+[tex]\mu[/tex]h
and
R2(reaction at front wheel)=mga+[tex]\mu[/tex]h/a-b

framehead said:
I appreciate everybodys help but i still seem to be getting nowhere. This is what I've got from all the advice given:
[tex]\Sigma[/tex]M(x)c=0=R1a-R2b+[tex]\mu[/tex]h
your last term [tex]\mu h[/tex] is incorrect. The moment about the cm of the friction force at R2 is the friction force times h. What is the friction force in terns of R2? Also, watch your signs. If clockwise is positive, stick to that convention.
and
R2(reaction at front wheel)=mga+[tex]\mu[/tex]h/a-b
I don't know where this comes from. You should sum forces in the y direction to get your 2nd equation. With these 2 equations, you can solve for R2, and then get the friction force, and then solve for the acceleration in the x direction.

Related to Attatchment depicts a truck which has a centre of mass C

1. What is a centre of mass?

The centre of mass is a point within an object or system where the mass of the object can be considered to be concentrated. It is the average position of all the mass in the object.

2. Why is the centre of mass important in physics?

The centre of mass is important because it helps us understand how an object will behave when subjected to external forces. It is also used in calculations for things such as momentum and gravitational forces.

3. How is the centre of mass calculated?

The centre of mass is calculated by finding the weighted average of the positions of all the individual particles in the object. This takes into account both the mass and the position of each particle.

4. Can the centre of mass be outside of the object?

Yes, the centre of mass can be outside of the object if the object has an irregular shape or if there are external forces acting on it. However, the centre of mass will always be somewhere within the boundaries of the object.

5. How does the centre of mass affect the stability of an object?

The lower the centre of mass is, the more stable the object will be. This is because a lower centre of mass means that the weight of the object is distributed closer to the ground, making it harder to tip over. This is why trucks and other vehicles often have their engines located near the bottom to increase stability.