Attending community college, chance at Caltech?

In summary: However, if you have done original research and can show it, you have a good shot. In summary, if you have high grades, excellent letters of recommendation, and a record of doing original research, your chance of getting into CalTech is good.
7yler
I am currently a student at a community college in Baltimore, Maryland, and I'm wondering what my chance of getting into Caltech is. Here's my story: I attended two high schools simultaneously. One was a technical high school, where I majored in Industrial Technology. The second was a public high school. I graduated both in 2006, at the age of 16. I was only in high school for three years, I essentially skipped my senior year. After high school, I went straight to working. I started attending community college after a year, taking 5 honors classes. I had A's in each class, then tragedy struck. Both of my parents became very ill and I couldn't take my finals, due to caring for them. Therefore, I failed each class. I stopped going to community college, and started working again. I currently work full-time as a machinist, and have been attending community college full time since fall of 2009. I am going to attempt to transfer to a university for the fall of 2011 semester. I have been taking 5 classes each semester, and have earned high A's in every class I have taken since I have started back at community college. I have not taken the SAT, and don't plan to do so, as I don't need to for the universities I am applying to. I am applying to John Hopkins University for mechanical engineering w/ aerospace option, University of Maryland College Park for aerospace engineering, and Caltech for mechanical engineering w/ aerospace minor. I am very interested in Caltech, I flew out to Pasadena and visited the school earlier this year. Will my previous stint at community college tarnish my record enough to kill my chances at Caltech? Do I have a chance to begin with?

Physics news on Phys.org
I neglected to mention that my GPA in high school was a 3.2. I'm not sure if that matters, as I have perused further education. Also, I plan to transfer in as a sophomore, with some extra credits under my belt. I will have the freshman coursework completed at the time of transfer, as well as a few humanities courses.

I'm assuming you've read CalTech's transfer page and realize you'll have to pass exams covering about two years of college physics and calculus when you apply. They admitted 31 transfer applicants from community colleges last year. Keep in mind that half the freshmen who get into CalTech have done original research already - if you have not after two years of college (and it's hard to get that chance at a community college) that's going to hurt your application.

Related to Attending community college, chance at Caltech?

1. Can attending community college increase my chances of getting into Caltech?

Yes, attending community college can increase your chances of getting into Caltech. Community colleges offer a more affordable option for students to complete their general education courses before transferring to a four-year university. This can demonstrate to admissions committees that you have the ability to handle college-level coursework and are committed to your academic success.

2. Are community college courses considered equivalent to courses taken at a four-year university?

Yes, community college courses are often considered equivalent to courses taken at a four-year university. However, it is important to check with Caltech's admissions office to confirm which courses will transfer and count towards your degree program.

3. Do community college students have the same opportunities as students at four-year universities?

Community college students have access to many of the same opportunities as students at four-year universities. This may include research opportunities, internships, and extracurricular activities. Additionally, many community colleges have partnerships with four-year universities that can provide additional resources and support for students.

4. Will attending community college affect my chances of receiving financial aid at Caltech?

No, attending community college should not affect your chances of receiving financial aid at Caltech. As long as you meet the eligibility requirements, you can still receive financial aid regardless of whether you attended a community college or a four-year university.

5. Is it common for students to transfer from community college to Caltech?

While it may not be as common as transferring from another four-year university, it is not uncommon for students to transfer from community college to Caltech. In fact, many successful students have taken this route and have been able to thrive at Caltech. It is important to have a strong academic record and to demonstrate your passion for STEM fields in your application.