Attractive Force Between Sun & Venus

• Thread starter STEMucator
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force
In summary: The powers of 10, which I omitted there, should be put back in at the end. Then you can round off the result, if you must.
STEMucator
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

Find the attractive force between the Sun and Venus. The distance between their centers is 1.08x1011m.

Homework Equations

##F = \frac{Gm_1m_2}{d^2}##
##m_{sun} = 1.98 * 10^{30}##
##m_{venus} = 4.83 * 10^{24}##
##G = 6.67 * 10^{-11}##

The Attempt at a Solution

##= \frac{(6.67)(1.98)(4.83)(10^{43})}{(1.12)(10^8)}##
##= \frac{(63.8)(10^{35})}{1.12}##
##= 57 * 10^{35} N##

Does this look okay?

Physics news on Phys.org
Zondrina said:

Homework Statement

Find the attractive force between the Sun and Venus. The distance between their centers is 1.08x1011m.

Homework Equations

##m_{sun} = 1.98 * 10^{30}##
##m_{venus} = 4.83 * 10^{24}##
##G = 6.67 * 10^{-11}##

The Attempt at a Solution

##= \frac{(6.67)(1.98)(4.83)(10^{43})}{(1.12)(10^8)}##
##= \frac{(63.8)(10^{35})}{1.12}##
##= 57 * 10^{35} N##

Does this look okay?

No. It looks like you aren't using the right value of d2. How did you get 1.12 X 108?

Mark44 said:
No. It looks like you aren't using the right value of d2. How did you get 1.12 X 108?

I did (1.08)(1.08)(104)(104) and I rounded a few places off. I see it was 1011 though, my mistake. My 11 looked like a 4 on paper by accident.

So I would get (1.12)(1022).

Thanks for noticing that.

EDIT : So I get ##57*10^{21}N##. I also see this is an intro phys question, but I was accidentally inside the calc & beyond section, sorry about that.

Very sloppy work. Almost no units shown except for the final result. Missing exponents and some exponents dropped altogether. Incorrect arithmetic calculations buried within expressions.

SteamKing said:
Almost no units shown except for the final result.
I noticed that, as well, but didn't mention it.

By not including units, Zondrina, you made extra work for the people checking what you did.

Also, if you square 1.08, you get 1.1664. I still don't see how you got 1.12 out of that. The general rule is to not round off until all your calculations are done. If you round before then, it will affect your final answer.

Mark44 said:
I noticed that, as well, but didn't mention it.

By not including units, Zondrina, you made extra work for the people checking what you did.

I usually define my variables with their magnitudes and directions before I do calculations and keep the units out of the calculations to avoid clutter ( I know this is a bit lazy, but I find it makes the actual arithmetic stand out more to avoid mistakes ).

These questions are usually cooked so that the unit for force is Newtons. So I took that for granted when I did the calculation. I'll try to be more symbolic next time.

EDIT : Indeed, it's closer to 1.17.

Last edited:
But you shouldn't round that number. The calculation should be done like this (omitting the powers of 10)
$$\frac{(6.67)(1.98)(4.83)}{1.1664}$$

Related to Attractive Force Between Sun & Venus

1. What is the attractive force between the Sun and Venus?

The attractive force between the Sun and Venus is a gravitational force that pulls the two objects towards each other. It is caused by the mass of each object and the distance between them.

2. How is the attractive force between the Sun and Venus calculated?

The attractive force between the Sun and Venus can be calculated using Newton's law of universal gravitation, which states that the force is directly proportional to the product of the masses of the two objects and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

3. What is the strength of the attractive force between the Sun and Venus?

The strength of the attractive force between the Sun and Venus varies depending on their distance from each other. On average, the force is about 8.87 x 10^22 Newtons, which is relatively weak compared to other forces, such as electromagnetic forces.

4. How does the attractive force between the Sun and Venus affect their orbits?

The attractive force between the Sun and Venus is what keeps Venus in its orbit around the Sun. The force is constantly pulling Venus towards the Sun, but because of its velocity and the centrifugal force, Venus is able to maintain a stable orbit.

5. Can the attractive force between the Sun and Venus change?

Yes, the attractive force between the Sun and Venus can change depending on their relative positions and distances from each other. For example, when Venus is at its closest point to the Sun (perihelion), the force will be stronger compared to when it is at its farthest point (aphelion).