Atwood machine at rest and released

In summary, we have two blocks hanging on a massless and frictionless pulley, with m1 being the more massive block. We compared the initial and final tensions on m1, as well as the initial tension on m1 versus the force of gravity on m2, and the initial tension on m2 versus the force of gravity on m2. We found that the tensions on either side of the pulley are the same, and the acceleration of the blocks are related by the equation T=(2*g*m1*m2)/(m1+m2). Therefore, in both cases, the initial tension on m1 and m2 are equal to the final tension on m1, and the initial tension on m2 is equal to the
Poetria

Homework Statement

In the image shown, two blocks hang on a pulley. Assume that m1 is the more massive block, and that the pulley is massless and frictionless.

Take the initial case to be the instant just after m1 is released from rest, and the final case to be the instant just before m2 hits the pulley. Compare the magnitudes of the quantities below at those times.

The initial tension on m1 versus the final tension on m1.
The initial tension on m1 versus the force of gravity on m2.
The initial tension on m2 versus the final tension on m1.
The initial tension on m2 versus the force of gravity on m2

Homework Equations

T-m_2 = m_2*a

m_1-T=m_1*a

The Attempt at a Solution

_
I tried to figure out the initial tension on m_1. I thought it is m_2*g but this is wrong. I guess m_2*g is the tension of the whole string. Am I right?
This initial mistake caused the other.

Attachments

• Atwood machine.png
    Atwood machine.png
    2.2 KB · Views: 530
Physics news on Phys.org
Poetria said:
I tried to figure out the initial tension on m_1. I thought it is m_2*g but this is wrong. I guess m_2*g is the tension of the whole string. Am I right?
Nope. The instant that m1 is released both masses begin to move according to the forces acting. You need to draw free-body diagrams for both masses and write expressions for the acceleration of each that include the force due to the tension in the string. Solve for the tension.

What can you say about the tension in the string on either side of the pulley? (Remember: thee pulley is massless and frictionless). How about the accelerations of the blocks, how are they related?

Likes Poetria
The acclerations of the two masses have the same magnitude but the opposite directions - down for the mass 1 and up for the mass 2.
Hm, is the tension the same on either side?

I have prepared FBDs.

Attachments

• Atwood machine 2.png
    Atwood machine 2.png
    3 KB · Views: 952
If the tension is the same on either side
the answer for
and for

would be the same, i.e. 'greater' because:
T=m_2*a+m_2*g

Poetria said:
The acclerations of the two masses have the same magnitude but the opposite directions - down for the mass 1 and up for the mass 2.
Hm, is the tension the same on either side?

I have prepared FBDs.
Your FBD's look fine. And yes, the tensions are the same since the pulley can have no effect (massless, frictionless) other than change the direction of the string.

Can you solve for an expression for the tension? It will help to answer the questions.

Likes Poetria
Poetria said:
If the tension is the same on either side
the answer for
and for

would be the same, i.e. 'greater' because:
T=m_2*a+m_2*g
Sure. I don't know if this is a "one word answer" problem or if you need to develop your argument a bit more, but you have reached the right conclusion.

Likes Poetria
Yes, this is one-word-answer problem but I would prefer to understand it more deeply. I am really grateful for your help. :)

So I combined the equations from the previous posts

m_1*g-m_1*a=m_2*g+m_2*a

m_1*g-m_2*g=m_2*a+m_1*a

a=(m_1*g-m_2*g)/(m_2+m_1)

And by substitution m_1*a=m_1*g-T:

m_1*((m_1*g-m_2*g)/(m_2+m_1))=m_1*g-T

T=(2*g*m_1*m_2)/(m_1+m_2)

Is this the equation you have asked for?

If so in the two cases:

the answer would be 'equal' because g doesn't change of course and the two masses stay the same.

Poetria said:
Yes, this is one-word-answer problem but I would prefer to understand it more deeply. I am really grateful for your help. :)

So I combined the equations from the previous posts

m_1*g-m_1*a=m_2*g+m_2*a

m_1*g-m_2*g=m_2*a+m_1*a

a=(m_1*g-m_2*g)/(m_2+m_1)

And by substitution m_1*a=m_1*g-T:

m_1*((m_1*g-m_2*g)/(m_2+m_1))=m_1*g-T

T=(2*g*m_1*m_2)/(m_1+m_2)

Is this the equation you have asked for?
Yes. Nicely done.
If so in the two cases:

the answer would be 'equal' because g doesn't change of course and the two masses stay the same.
Yes, and a good argument too.

Likes Poetria
Many thanks :) :)

Related to Atwood machine at rest and released

1. What is an Atwood machine at rest and released?

An Atwood machine at rest and released is a simple mechanical device consisting of two masses connected by a string or rope over a pulley. The machine is considered to be at rest when both masses are hanging freely and not in motion.

2. How does an Atwood machine at rest and released work?

An Atwood machine at rest and released works by utilizing the principle of conservation of energy. When the masses are released, the potential energy of the higher mass is converted into kinetic energy as it falls, causing the lower mass to rise. This process continues until the masses reach equilibrium, where the tension in the string is equal to the weight of the masses.

3. What factors affect the motion of an Atwood machine at rest and released?

The motion of an Atwood machine at rest and released is affected by the masses of the objects, the length and mass of the string, and the force of gravity. These factors determine the acceleration and velocity of the masses as they move.

4. What is the purpose of studying an Atwood machine at rest and released?

Studying an Atwood machine at rest and released allows scientists to understand the principles of mechanics and energy conservation. It also has practical applications in fields such as engineering and physics, where similar systems are used to study the effects of gravity and motion.

5. How can the motion of an Atwood machine at rest and released be calculated?

The motion of an Atwood machine at rest and released can be calculated using the equations of motion and the principle of conservation of energy. By measuring the masses, length of the string, and the acceleration due to gravity, the velocity and position of the masses can be determined at any point during the motion.