Atwood machine bounce, how high?

In summary: Let u be the velocity of the mass at the time of collision. Then,V=uku*e^(-i*t) Where u is the velocity, k is the acceleration of gravity, and t is the time of collision.In summary, the mass bounces off the floor and the velocity can be found by using either the conservation of energy or Newtons II'nd law.
Uku

Homework Statement

Basically, an ideal Atwood machine is released from rest (m1 != m2) and I have to find out how high the mass, say m1, bounces after an absolutely inelastic collision with the floor (no energy is lost).

Homework Equations

Conservation of energy, Newtons equations.

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, I can find the velocity of the system when it hits the ground in two ways, cons. of energy and by using Newtons II'nd law. The first one is preferred since it does not include time in it. Now, using this velocity I should be able to find how high the system bounces after the collision, but I'm a bit lost on that. Where look and how to do?

Physics news on Phys.org
You can find the height reached using the same principles: conservation of energy or kinematics. Realize that once it bounces, the mass is just a projectile like any other.

Uku said:

Homework Statement

Basically, an ideal Atwood machine is released from rest (m1 != m2) and I have to find out how high the mass, say m1, bounces after an absolutely inelastic collision with the floor (no energy is lost).

Homework Equations

Conservation of energy, Newtons equations.

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, I can find the velocity of the system when it hits the ground in two ways, cons. of energy and by using Newtons II'nd law. The first one is preferred since it does not include time in it. Now, using this velocity I should be able to find how high the system bounces after the collision, but I'm a bit lost on that. Where look and how to do?

Hi Uku,
Your problem is difficult to understand. In inelastic collision, energy is always lost. You may use no energy lost for elastic collision.
After collision, at the maximum, velocity=0

inky said:
In inelastic collision, energy is always lost.
I'm sure that inelastic was a typo and that elastic is what was meant.

Doc Al said:
I'm sure that inelastic was a typo and that elastic is what was meant.

Problem mentions the inelastic collision. If it is perfectly elastic collision, coefficient of restitution between floor and the mass is 1. I consider for e=squareroot of h2/h1.(short method)

Related to Atwood machine bounce, how high?

1. What is an Atwood machine?

An Atwood machine is a simple mechanical device that consists of two masses connected by a string or rope passing over a pulley. It is used to study the effects of gravity and acceleration on the motion of objects.

2. How does an Atwood machine bounce?

The bouncing of an Atwood machine occurs when one of the masses is dropped from a certain height and then bounces back up due to the tension in the string. This motion is a result of the conservation of energy, as the potential energy of the falling mass is converted into kinetic energy and then back to potential energy as it bounces back up.

3. What factors affect the height of the Atwood machine bounce?

The height of the Atwood machine bounce is affected by various factors such as the mass of the falling object, the length of the string, the angle of the string, and the initial height at which the object is dropped. The acceleration due to gravity and the properties of the pulley also play a role in determining the height of the bounce.

4. How can the height of the Atwood machine bounce be calculated?

The height of the Atwood machine bounce can be calculated using the principles of conservation of energy. By measuring the mass of the falling object, the length of the string, and the initial height, the final height of the bounce can be determined using the equation H = (mgh)/M, where H is the final height, m is the mass of the falling object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and M is the combined mass of the two objects.

5. What are the applications of studying the Atwood machine bounce?

The Atwood machine bounce has various applications in physics and engineering, such as studying the effects of gravity and acceleration on motion, understanding the principles of energy conservation, and designing mechanical systems that use pulleys and ropes. It is also used in educational settings to demonstrate these concepts to students.