Audio amplified VSM (vibrating sample magnetometer) sample

In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of a fluctuating signal from a Lock In Amplifier (LIA) being used to read the induced emf reading from a sample in a VSM. Possible causes for the fluctuation are discussed, including loss of signal input, external interference, faulty position sensing transducer, and faulty pickup coils. The suggestion is made to check the reference signal and use a known good reference signal to test the LIA. The conversation also mentions the speaker's own project of building a VSM and their difficulty in collecting data, specifically with the LIA output fluctuating between positive and negative values near the sample's oscillation frequency.
Sakin_EEE
Hello,
I am trying to get the induced emf reading from a sample in a vsm. A lock in amplifier is being used to read the signal. The problem is that the output voltage fluctuates heavily. Should I apply an audio amplified signal to my sample to make it vibrate ?

Sorry about the delay in reply.

My suspicion is that there is a fault in the VSM. There are many possible causes of a fluctuating signal from a Lock In Amp, LIA.
Loss of signal input, reference input or some external interference are all possible causes.

I would expect the sample to vibrate sinusoidally. Is it moving? If not, why not?

The position sensing transducer may be faulty or have a broken cable. Use an oscilloscope to check the reference signal into the lock in amp. Is it there?

The pickup coils may have a faulty connection. Measure resistance of the coils while disconnected from LIA inputs.They should be similar low ohms.

The LIA may have a faulty power supply. Connect the known good reference signal to both the reference input and the signal input. Is it now stable?

If the problem is not resolved please post your instrument's Make and Model information.

I am working also on building a VSM and I'm a little lost as to how to collect the data. From what I see on other papers and thesis their LIA output always comes out as a positive value, but I get values that fluctuate from positive to negative very near the frequency of oscillation of my sample. I am not sure if I am doing anything wrong or if that's how it's supposed to come out. I haven't been able to figure it out yet.

FAQ: Audio amplified VSM (vibrating sample magnetometer) sample

1. What is an audio amplified VSM sample?

An audio amplified VSM (vibrating sample magnetometer) sample is a type of instrument used in materials science to measure the magnetic properties of a sample. It includes an electromagnet, a vibrating sample holder, and a detection coil, all of which work together to measure the magnetic moment of the sample.

2. How does an audio amplified VSM sample work?

The sample is placed in the vibrating sample holder, which causes it to vibrate at a specific frequency. The electromagnet creates a magnetic field, and the detection coil measures the changes in the magnetic field caused by the vibrating sample. These changes are then amplified and converted into an audio signal, which can be analyzed to determine the magnetic properties of the sample.

3. What are the advantages of using an audio amplified VSM sample?

One of the main advantages of using an audio amplified VSM sample is its sensitivity. It can measure very small changes in magnetic moment, making it useful for studying materials with weak magnetic properties. Additionally, it is a non-destructive technique, meaning the sample can be reused for further testing.

4. What types of samples can be analyzed using an audio amplified VSM sample?

An audio amplified VSM sample can be used to analyze a wide range of materials, including metals, alloys, ceramics, and thin films. It is particularly useful for studying magnetic materials, such as ferromagnets, antiferromagnets, and superconductors.

5. Are there any limitations to using an audio amplified VSM sample?

While audio amplified VSM samples are highly sensitive, they do have some limitations. One limitation is the size of the sample, as it must fit into the vibrating sample holder. Another limitation is that the sample must have a flat surface, as any curvature can affect the accuracy of the measurements. Additionally, the sample must have a magnetic moment, as the instrument relies on changes in the magnetic field to measure the properties of the sample.