Automatic Control: Specifications for 3rd-order systems and higher?

In summary, the designer found that they needed to increase the phasemargin by 64 degrees in order to achieve the desired cross-over frequency. They calculated that they would need 6.4812 lead-compensators in series.
sodemus
I'm designing a lead-lag controller to control a robotics-arm (part of an excercise).
I have found diagrams showing the correlation between overshoot and phasemargin for a second order system but in my excercise I have a third-order system. Can I apply the the relations for a 2nd-order system or can I somehow divide the problem into parts and apply the knowledge of 2nd and 1st order systems? I have the following system:
1.9/(9*s^3+96.5s^2+40s)
with the following specifications:
Risetime < 1.72s
Overshoot < 5%
Control signal < 100
Stationary error <5% when unit ramp is reference signal.

I tried an approach with 2 lead-compensators in series to reduce N in
Flead=N(s+b)/(s+bN)
Flag=(s+a)/(s+a/M)

If you want to see it, my MATLAB code follows (A Proportional controller was tried first and used as a reference). Appearantly, the expected speed-increase isn't there at all either is any of the other improvements.

%%
%Problem 1 %(FrCoef=b, GearFact=n in the instructions)
J=4.5;Lm=2;Rm=21;FrCoef=1;Ktau=38;Km=0.5;GearFact=1/20;
s=tf('s');
G=GearFact*Ktau/(s*(s*Lm+Rm)*(J*s+FrCoef)+s*Km*Ktau);
G

%%
%Problem 2, risetime, loop-gain
Gc=feedback(G,1);
%Identification gives:
Q=1.9;P=9*s^3+96.5*s^2+40*s;
rlocus(Q/P);
%Kp=4.41 has relative damping of 1/sqrt(2) (Increasing Kp implies shorter rise-time). We end up at Kp=4.57.
figure
step(feedback(4.57*G,1),100);

%%
%Problem 3, Cross-over frequency, phasemargin och bandwidth.
[aaa Phasemargin ccc CrossoverFrequency]=margin(4.57*G);
Bandwidth=bandwidth(feedback(4.57*G,1),-3);

Phasemargin %64.34°
CrossoverFrequency %=0.1974
Bandwidth %=0.3129

%%
%Problem 4
bode(G)
%We calculate the phase at frequency=0.7896 (4 times faster system gives cross-overfrequency at 0.7896). Phase(0.7896)= -156°.
%5% Overshoot implies 64° phasemargin (from the infamous diagram for 2nd order systems) (från figur 5.16 sid 94 Glad &
%Ljung). Required increase in phasemargin is 64°-(180°-156°-11.3° (We preemtively consider the cominig lag-compensator))=51.3°. Uppdelat
%2 lead-compensators in series give 25.65°/compensator. Solving for N in
%arctan(0.5(sqrt(N)-1/sqrt(N))
%gives:
y=25.65; %y=required phase-increase for simplicity
N=1+2*tan(y)+sqrt((1+2*tan(y))^2-1);
N
%N=6.4812
%b is calculated in accordance with b="desired cross-over frequency"/sqrt(N)
b=0.7896/sqrt(N);
b
%We calculate K=1/(sqrt(N)*sqrt(N)*abs(G(i*"desired cross-over frequency"))
K=1/(sqrt(N)*abs(evalfr(G,0.7896*i)));
K
a=0.1.*0.7896
Flead=K*(N*((s+a)/(s+b*N)))^2;
M=2;
Flag=((s+a)/(s+(a/M)));
figure
bode(feedback(G*Flead*Flag,1));
figure
step((1/s)*feedback(G*Flead*Flag,1)) %We multiply the feedback function with 1/s so that matlab-function step gives the ramp-response (a ramp is an integrated step).

Engineering news on Phys.org
You can use the Zeigler-Nichols tuning method for all systems of any order.

FAQ: Automatic Control: Specifications for 3rd-order systems and higher?

1. What is automatic control?

Automatic control refers to the use of control systems to regulate or manipulate a process or system automatically. This involves using sensors, actuators, and controllers to maintain a desired output or behavior without the need for manual intervention.

2. What are specifications for 3rd-order systems and higher?

Specifications for 3rd-order systems and higher refer to the performance measures that are used to evaluate and design control systems. These include parameters such as rise time, settling time, steady-state error, and stability margins.

3. How are specifications for 3rd-order systems and higher determined?

Specifications for 3rd-order systems and higher are determined through mathematical analysis and simulation of the system's behavior. This involves using mathematical models and control theory techniques to predict and optimize the system's performance.

4. What is the significance of 3rd-order systems and higher in control engineering?

3rd-order systems and higher are significant in control engineering because they represent complex and highly dynamic systems that require advanced control techniques to achieve desired performance. These systems are commonly found in aerospace, automotive, and industrial applications.

5. What are some common challenges in designing control systems for 3rd-order systems and higher?

Designing control systems for 3rd-order systems and higher can be challenging due to the complexity and nonlinearity of these systems. It requires a deep understanding of control theory, as well as the ability to model and simulate the system accurately. Additionally, the trade-off between performance and stability must be carefully considered in the design process.

Back