Automatic double lens glasses?

• I
  • Thread starter LightningInAJar
  • Start date
LightningInAJar
TL;DR Summary
Can autofocusing glasses exist?
I think camera lens are two lens that work in tandem to focus or zoom onto the sensor, but I was wondering how great a distance must exist between the lenses to get full range of focus young people have? Certainly can't strap a telephoto length lens to a person's face. Cameras can auto focus and I know they have devices that follow our eye position so it can know the object of interest. At this point such a thing would likely be too expensive, but can anyone imagine it being possible to help those with severe presbyopia?

Science news on Phys.org
A telephoto lens enlarges the image of very diatant objects. Many cell phones have focusing lenses that have moving parts. So that is a small space to fit in. These focus the image onto a nearby sensor.

That is pretty compact. I guess the bigger question is how quickly focus could change between like 8cm and .5 miles to get pretty full young vision range. I will have to look into the camera autofocus and eye trackers.

Without my glasses, I can focus on anything beyond infinity.
I have lost most of the elasticity of my lens, but I only really need three different strengths of lens to fully function. Driving =+2 diopter, inside a room or workshop = +3, or close reading +4.

The accuracy of an autofocus mechanism is not critical, it only needs to handle somewhere near those three values.

The speed of an autofocus mechanism is critical, when I am driving I need to see the road, and the instruments/GPS, all in a cycle of less than one second. For driving, I use bifocals and keep my head level.

Cleaning requires multi-element lenses have only two exposed surfaces, so will need to be sealed.

There are liquid or fluid-filled adjustable lenses, that are adjusted by changing the internal fluid volume/pressure. Google them.

Likes scottdave

Related to Automatic double lens glasses?

What are automatic double lens glasses?

Automatic double lens glasses are eyewear equipped with two lenses that can switch between different optical properties. These glasses typically use electronic or mechanical systems to adjust the lenses, allowing users to switch between modes such as reading and distance vision without changing glasses.

How do automatic double lens glasses work?

Automatic double lens glasses work by incorporating advanced technologies such as liquid crystal lenses, electrochromic materials, or mechanical adjustments. These technologies enable the lenses to change their optical properties, like focal length or tint, in response to user input or environmental conditions, often controlled via a button or an app.

What are the benefits of using automatic double lens glasses?

The primary benefits of using automatic double lens glasses include convenience, as users do not need to switch between different pairs of glasses for different tasks. They also provide enhanced visual comfort and can be customized to suit individual vision needs, improving overall quality of life for people with varying vision requirements.

Are automatic double lens glasses suitable for everyone?

While automatic double lens glasses offer significant advantages, they may not be suitable for everyone. Factors such as the complexity of an individual's prescription, specific vision needs, and personal preferences can influence suitability. Consulting with an eye care professional is recommended to determine if these glasses are a good fit for a particular person.

How much do automatic double lens glasses cost?

The cost of automatic double lens glasses can vary widely depending on the technology used, brand, and additional features. Generally, they are more expensive than traditional glasses due to the advanced technology involved. Prices can range from a few hundred to several thousand dollars.