Automobiles - why not to remain in 1st gear?

In summary, the engine speed in 1st gear is limited by factors such as engine friction and airflow. It is also limited by the cars power and aerodynamics. For a car that needs one gear for tractability, the engine speed in 1st gear is limited to 8000rpm.
sk1329
Automobiles -- why not to remain in 1st gear?

why not to remain in 1st gear ??

Engineering news on Phys.org

Welcome to PF!

1. Car engines have a limited RPM range, so they wouldn't be able to go fast in only 1st gear.
2. Engine friction is dependent on engine speed, so it is higher the lower the gear.

Since the first gear gives me the most acceleration why do I need to switch gears?

Did you read either of the answers I gave you?

forget about the 2nd reason you gave because it is inevitable...but can't we increase the range of rpm

if no why can't we inc. rpm of engine

sk1329 said:
forget about the 2nd reason you gave because it is inevitable...but can't we increase the range of rpm
First of all, please speak in correct English and complete sentences. It is difficult to understand when you write so poorly.

Second, please be more descriptive. It is difficult to understand you if you won't explain yourself.

Third, if you want to learn, you can't just discard answers you don't like. Both answers I gave you are real.

Now: no, RPM can't be increased indefinitely, partly because of #2 (the engine will burn itself up because of the increased friction), partly because the airflow into and out of the engine have to increase with RPM and they are limited by the size of the intake and exhaust pipes, valve ports, etc.

Thanks for the reply.
I'll keep in mind to write full sentences
In 2nd reason you said something about Engine speed,so what actually engine speed here means ??(Are you talking about rpm only or something else)

Engine speed is expressed in RPM, yes.

thanks sir

On a basic level:

"Why change out of first gear?"
"To go faster than 30mph"

For any engine speed, the parts inside the engine are moving. As well as moving, they also have a mass. Given a mass and velocity, they have forces. The faster you spin the engine, the higher the forces get until eventually, something breaks. Added to this is the fact that gasoline engines can only produce torque over a narrow range of speeds, so most car engines will be limited to around 8000rpm because of these factors. You then need the gearbox to provide a tractable thrust curve between 0mph and whatever the cars power and aerodynamics dictate as the maximum speed. If you used one gear for this the car would stall when trying to pull away, just try it for yourself using 5th gear to pull away!

In comparison, something like the Tesla Roadster's electric motor will generate useable torque from 0rpm to 14,000rpm, so it only needs one gear and can produce the same sort of thrust curve as an SI engine with a gearbox.

Related to Automobiles - why not to remain in 1st gear?

1. Why is it not recommended to stay in 1st gear while driving?

Staying in 1st gear for extended periods of time can cause damage to your engine and transmission. It puts unnecessary strain on these components and can lead to costly repairs.

2. Will staying in 1st gear save fuel?

No, staying in 1st gear does not save fuel. In fact, it can actually decrease your fuel efficiency. This is because your engine is working harder to maintain the high RPMs in 1st gear, using more fuel in the process.

3. Can driving in 1st gear damage my brakes?

Yes, driving in 1st gear can put extra strain on your brakes. This is because you may need to constantly brake to maintain a safe speed, causing your brake pads to wear out faster. It is also not recommended to use your brakes to control your speed, as this can cause them to overheat and potentially fail.

4. Is it okay to use 1st gear for steep inclines or declines?

Yes, 1st gear can be useful for steep inclines or declines to maintain a slow and steady speed. However, it is important to shift into the appropriate gear once you reach a flatter terrain to avoid engine strain.

5. Can driving in 1st gear affect my overall driving experience?

Yes, driving in 1st gear for extended periods of time can be uncomfortable and noisy. It can also cause your vehicle to jerk and lurch, making for a less smooth and enjoyable driving experience.