Autoscroll in Firefox 1.0 - Does it Work?

• Thread starter gnome
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Firefox
In summary, the conversation is about the functionality of autoscroll in Firefox 1.0. One person's HP laptop has a synaptics touchpad with an autoscroll window, but the feature only works in other applications and not in Firefox. Another person has successfully used autoscroll on their desktop, but it doesn't work without enabling it. The issue is ultimately found to be a problem with Firefox and the synaptics drivers. The conversation also mentions a bug with horizontal autoscroll and suggests changing the screen resolution, but this is not a feasible solution for one person.
gnome
Does autoscroll work for you in Firefox 1.0?

My HP laptop has a synaptics touchpad with an extra little autoscroll window next to it. Autoscroll works fine in IE and other applications. In Firefox all it does is put a little autoscroll icon on the screen instead of the cursor, but it doesn't scroll at all unless I grab the scrollbar. (The arrow keys work OK.)

Yes, I have autoscroll enabled in tools/options/advanced.

Computer science news on Phys.org
I use autoscroll on my firefox 1.0 and it works. But I am on a desktop. And when it is not enabled the middle mouse scroll does not work at all, in firefox.

It turned out to be a problem with firefox and the synaptics drivers. It seems my original driver was too old, & then I upgraded to one that was too new. I just found one (ver. 7.8.10) that's "just right". :smile: :smile: :smile:

Well, almost. Vertical autoscroll works fine. Horizontal autoscroll works in other applications but it still doesn't work in firefox. I found that there's already a bugzilla on that, so I guess eventually the firefox people will work it out.

Last edited:
Forget about horizontal scrolling, just make your resolution 1600x1200

Hah, hah.
My laptop screen can't handle 1600x1200 & if it did I'd need a magnifying glass to read it.

FAQ: Autoscroll in Firefox 1.0 - Does it Work?

1. How do I enable autoscroll in Firefox 1.0?

To enable autoscroll in Firefox 1.0, go to the "Tools" menu, select "Options," and click on the "Advanced" tab. Then, check the box next to "Use autoscrolling" under the "Browsing" section.

2. Does autoscroll work for all websites in Firefox 1.0?

Autoscroll should work for most websites in Firefox 1.0, but there may be some websites that have disabled this feature. Also, if there are any issues with the website's code, autoscroll may not work properly.

3. Can I customize the speed of autoscroll in Firefox 1.0?

Yes, you can customize the speed of autoscroll in Firefox 1.0. Go to the "Tools" menu, select "Options," and click on the "Advanced" tab. Under the "Browsing" section, you will see a slider for "Autoscrolling speed." Adjust the slider to your preferred speed.

4. How do I use autoscroll in Firefox 1.0?

To use autoscroll in Firefox 1.0, simply press and hold down the middle mouse button (or scroll wheel) while moving your mouse in the direction you want to scroll. You can also press and hold down the "Alt" key while using the scroll wheel on your mouse.

5. Can I turn off autoscroll in Firefox 1.0?

Yes, you can turn off autoscroll in Firefox 1.0. Go to the "Tools" menu, select "Options," and click on the "Advanced" tab. Under the "Browsing" section, uncheck the box next to "Use autoscrolling." You can also use the "Alt" key and scroll wheel combination to turn off autoscroll while using it.