-aux08.probability distribution find a and b

In summary, a discrete random variable $X$ has a probability distribution as shown in the table with values of $0.1$ for $X=0$, $a$ for $X=1$, $0.3$ for $X=2$, and $b$ for $X=3$. The value of $a+b$ is found to be $0.6$ from the given information that $E[X]=1$, and the value of $a$ and $b$ can be determined by solving the linear system of equations $a+b=0.6$ and $a+3b=0.9$. The distribution table can be reconstructed as shown in the conversation.
karush
Gold Member
MHB
A discrete random variable $X$ has a probability distribution as shown in the table below.
(a) Find the value of $a+b$
if the sum of $E[X] = 1$ then $1-0.1-0.3 =0.6=a+b$
(b) Given $E[X]=1.5$ find the value of a and b
why would this be $1.5$

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
karush said:
(b) Given \(\displaystyle E[X]=1.5\), find the value of \(\displaystyle a\) and \(\displaystyle b\)

why would this be \(\displaystyle 1.5\)
I am not sure I understand the question. The fact that $E[X]=1.5$ is given. You don't question why $P(X=0)=0.1$, do you?

Just write what $E[X]$ is by definition for this particular $X$, and you'll get a second linear equation in $a$ and $b$ in addition to $a+b=0.6$.

Evgeny.Makarov said:
I am not sure I understand the question. The fact that $E[X]=1.5$ is given. You don't question why $P(X=0)=0.1$, do you?

Just write what $E[X]$ is by definition for this particular $X$, and you'll get a second linear equation in $a$ and $b$ in addition to $a+b=0.6$.

well that gives \(\displaystyle a+b =1.1\) but still how do we get values for \(\displaystyle a\) and \(\displaystyle b\)

karush said:
if the sum of \(\displaystyle E[X] = \)1 then \(\displaystyle 1-0.1-0.3 =0.6=a+b\)

(b) Given \(\displaystyle E[X]=1.5\), find the value of \(\displaystyle a\) and \(\displaystyle b\)

why would this be \(\displaystyle 1.5\)

It is instead:

\(\displaystyle P(0)+P(1)+P(2)+P(3)=1\)

and this gives, as you correctly found, \(\displaystyle a+b=0.6\)

Now, you also know:

\(\displaystyle 0.1\cdot0+a\cdot1+0.3\cdot2+b\cdot3=E[X]=1.5\)

or

\(\displaystyle a+3b=0.9\)

So, you have the linear system:

\(\displaystyle a+b=0.6\)

I would suggest beginning by subtracting the first equation from the second to eliminate $a$...

MarkFL said:
It is instead:

\(\displaystyle P(0)+P(1)+P(2)+P(3)=1\)

and this gives, as you correctly found, \(\displaystyle a+b=0.6\)

Now, you also know:

\(\displaystyle 0.1\cdot0+a\cdot1+0.3\cdot2+b\cdot3=E[X]=1.5\)

or

So, you have the linear system:

\(\displaystyle a+b=0.6\)

I would suggest beginning by subtracting the first equation from the second to eliminate $a$...

ok got.. \(\displaystyle a=0.45\) and \(\displaystyle b=0.15\)

the original table is lost
I was wondering if is possible to reconstruct it from the comments
mahalo
SSCtw.png

karush said:
the original table is lost
I was wondering if is possible to reconstruct it from the comments
From post #4 it seems that the distribution is the following.
\(\displaystyle
\begin{array}{c|c|c|c|c}
x & 0 & 1 & 2 & 3\\
\hline
P(X=x) & 0.1 & a & 0.3 & b
\end{array}
\)

Evgeny.Makarov said:
From post #4 it seems that the distribution is the following.
\(\displaystyle
\begin{array}{c|c|c|c|c}
x & 0 & 1 & 2 & 3\\
\hline
P(X=x) & 0.1 & a & 0.3 & b
\end{array}
\)
much mahalo

FAQ: -aux08.probability distribution find a and b

What is a probability distribution?

A probability distribution is a mathematical function that describes the likelihood of different outcomes of a random variable. It shows the possible values the variable can take and their corresponding probabilities.

What is the purpose of finding "a" and "b" in a probability distribution?

The values "a" and "b" in a probability distribution represent parameters that can help to define the shape, location, and scale of the distribution. By finding these values, we can better understand and analyze the data and make predictions based on the distribution.

How do you calculate "a" and "b" in a probability distribution?

The method for calculating "a" and "b" depends on the type of distribution. For example, in a normal distribution, "a" represents the mean and "b" represents the standard deviation. These values can be calculated using formulas or statistical software.

Why is it important to find "a" and "b" in a probability distribution?

Finding "a" and "b" in a probability distribution is important because they provide information about the characteristics of the data. They can help to identify any patterns or trends, and can also be used to make predictions and draw conclusions about the data.

What are some common types of probability distributions?

Some common types of probability distributions include the normal distribution, binomial distribution, Poisson distribution, and exponential distribution. Each of these distributions has its own set of parameters, such as "a" and "b", that describe its shape and characteristics.

Back