Average Acceleration During a Collision

In summary, a tennis ball with a velocity of 7.97 m/s to the right is thrown at a wall and rebounds in the opposite direction with a velocity of -5.07 m/s to the left. The ball is in contact with the wall for 0.011 s. Using the equation ωf=ωi+αΔt, the average acceleration of the ball while in contact with the wall is incorrect. The answer requires further calculations.
Ripcurl

Homework Statement

A tennis ball with a velocity of 7.97 m/s to the right is thrown perpendicularly at a wall. After striking the wall, the ball rebounds in the opposite direction with a velocity of −5.07 m/s to the left. If the ball is in contact with the wall for 0.011 s, what is the average acceleration of the ball while it is in contact with the wall? Answer in units of m/s^2.

Homework Equations

The one that I assumed was the right equation was
ωf=ωi+αΔt
(ωf=final velocity) (ωi=initial velocity) (α=acceleration) (Δt =change in time)

The Attempt at a Solution

I just plugged the numbers into the formula and solved for α, but the answer was wrong. What I am I doing incorrectly?

Physics news on Phys.org
What was your answer?

FAQ: Average Acceleration During a Collision

1. What is average acceleration during a collision?

Average acceleration during a collision is the rate of change of velocity over time during a collision. It is a measure of how quickly the velocity of an object changes during the impact of a collision.

2. How is average acceleration during a collision calculated?

Average acceleration during a collision is calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the time taken for the velocity change to occur. This can be represented by the equation a = (vf - vi)/t, where a is the average acceleration, vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity, and t is the time taken.

3. What factors affect the average acceleration during a collision?

The average acceleration during a collision is affected by the mass and velocity of the objects involved in the collision, as well as the duration of the impact. Additionally, external forces such as friction and air resistance can also impact the average acceleration.

4. How does average acceleration during a collision differ from instantaneous acceleration?

Average acceleration during a collision is calculated by considering the overall change in velocity over a period of time, while instantaneous acceleration is the acceleration at a specific moment in time. In a collision, the average acceleration may vary throughout the impact, while instantaneous acceleration can only be measured at specific points.

5. What are the units for average acceleration during a collision?

The units for average acceleration during a collision are meters per second squared (m/s^2). This represents the change in velocity (m/s) over time (s). Other common units include feet per second squared (ft/s^2) and kilometers per hour squared (km/h^2).

Back