Average Acceleration of the object

In summary, the graph shows the displacement of an object as a function of time. The average acceleration of the object is zero.
icanletyougo

Homework Statement

The graph of displacement as a function of time of the object is shown below
[PLAIN]http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/8962/displaceemt.jpg
What is the average acceleration of the object ?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

From the graph, I think the object is moving a round trip, so it will have the average velocity = 0, so the object will have average acceleration equal 0 too. But I'm not sure...

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi icanletyougo! welcome to pf! :smile:

hint: suppose the direction of displacement is vertical …

then what is the object doing? :wink:

tiny-tim said:
hi icanletyougo! welcome to pf! :smile:

hint: suppose the direction of displacement is vertical …

then what is the object doing? :wink:

Yea...I know if the direction of displacement is vertical, the acceleration will be equal to the gravity...But if the direction of displacement is horizontal, I'm not sure about its acceleration...Thanks

hi icanletyougo! :smile:

(just got up :zzz: …)
icanletyougo said:
Yea...I know if the direction of displacement is vertical, the acceleration will be equal to the gravity...But if the direction of displacement is horizontal, I'm not sure about its acceleration...Thanks

the direction makes no difference …

the same graph represents the same speed and acceleration no matter which way up the direction is! :smile:

so what is the average acceleration? :wink:

tiny-tim said:
hi icanletyougo! :smile:

(just got up :zzz: …)

the direction makes no difference …

the same graph represents the same speed and acceleration no matter which way up the direction is! :smile:

so what is the average acceleration? :wink:

oK...Thank you so much...I got that...:)

an approach:

do you know the function of the graph? if not try to synthesize it from given data, probably of the form: x=a(t-b)^2+c.
after you have the function, you know that x''(t) = a(t).

what do you think?

FAQ: Average Acceleration of the object

What is average acceleration?

Average acceleration is the rate at which an object changes its velocity over a certain period of time.

How is average acceleration calculated?

Average acceleration is calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. The formula is: average acceleration = (final velocity - initial velocity) / time.

What is the unit of measurement for average acceleration?

The unit of measurement for average acceleration is meters per second squared (m/s²).

How does average acceleration relate to speed and velocity?

Average acceleration is a measure of how quickly an object's speed or velocity is changing. It can tell us whether an object is speeding up, slowing down, or maintaining a constant velocity.

What factors can affect the average acceleration of an object?

The average acceleration of an object can be affected by various factors, such as the force applied to the object, the mass of the object, and any external forces acting upon the object.

Back