Average angle made by a curve with the ##x-axis##

In summary, the conversation discusses the average angle made by a curve f(x) between x=a and x=b, given by the formula α=∫a^b tan^-1(f'(x))/(b-a). The participants also discuss their expectation that this formula would hold for other functions, but it is pointed out that this expectation is incorrect due to the dependence of arctan on x and the inability to pull a function dependent on x out of an integral over x.
Kumar8434
The average angle made by a curve ##f(x)## between ##x=a## and ##x=b## is:
$$\alpha=\frac{\int_a^b\tan^{-1}{(f'(x))}}{b-a}$$
I don't think there should be any questions on that. Since ##f'(x)## is the value of ##\tan{\theta}## at every point, so ##tan^{-1}{(f'(x))}##, should be the angle made by the curve at that point.

Now, I expected this to hold:
$$\tan^{-1}\left({\frac{f{(b})-f{(a)}}{b-a}}\right)=\alpha=\frac{\int_a^b\tan^{-1}{(f'(x))}}{b-a}$$
because, ##\tan^{-1}\left({\frac{f{(b})-f{(a)}}{b-a}}\right)## is also the 'average angle' made by the curve between ##x=a## and ##x=b##.
It was true only approximately for ##f(x)=\log{|\sec{x}|}## when I checked for ##a=0## and ##b=\frac{\pi}{4}##. It obviously holds for linear functions and I checked that it only approximately holds for quadratic functions. I don't know anything beyond high-school calculus, so couldn't check it for polynomials of degree greater than ##2##.

I also tried root-mean-square instead of average angle but that expression too didn't hold accurately.

I took one step further and replaced ##\tan^{-1}{x}## with any function ##g(x)## and expected this to hold:
$$g\left({\frac{f{(b})-f{(a)}}{b-a}}\right)=k=\frac{\int_a^bg{(f'(x))}}{b-a}$$
But this one too only holds approximately for some ##g(x)## that I checked.
So, why don't these expressions hold as expected?

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
arctan depends on x so you can't just pull it out of the integral over x like that.

In general, you can't pull any function dependent on x out of an integral over x.

If you changed the integral to a summation and ask yourself about this simpler example:

atan( f(x1) + f(x2) + f(x3) )

- vs -

atan( f(x1) ) + atan( f(x2) ) + atan( f(x3) )

Kumar8434 said:
So, why don't these expressions hold as expected?
Because your expectation was wrong.

Likes jedishrfu
Have you tried using the chain rule to evaluate the righthand side to see if it matches the lefthand side:

$$\tan^{-1}(f(b)-f(a)) = \int_a^b\tan^{-1}(f'(x)) dx$$

to see if you can derive your conclusion. It may also explain why the results are different from what you expected.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chain_rule

In particular heck out the first proof which uses limits to prove the rule.

Last edited:
Thread closed. As @Dale pointed out in post #3, your expectation is wrong. In future posts, please make more of an attempt on proving your conjectures instead of asking why something doesn't work.

Likes Kumar8434 and jim mcnamara

Related to Average angle made by a curve with the ##x-axis##

1. What is the average angle made by a curve with the x-axis?

The average angle made by a curve with the x-axis is the average of all the individual angles made by the curve with the x-axis at each point on the curve. It is calculated by dividing the total angle made by the curve with the x-axis by the total number of points on the curve.

2. How is the average angle of a curve with the x-axis determined?

The average angle of a curve with the x-axis is determined by using calculus to find the slope of the curve at each point. The slope of a curve at a specific point is equal to the tangent of the angle made by the curve with the x-axis at that point. The average of all these slopes gives the average angle of the curve with the x-axis.

3. Can the average angle of a curve with the x-axis be negative?

Yes, the average angle of a curve with the x-axis can be negative. This occurs when the curve is decreasing from left to right, meaning that the slope of the curve is negative at each point. The average angle in this case would be the average of all the negative slopes.

4. How does the shape of a curve affect its average angle with the x-axis?

The shape of a curve can greatly affect its average angle with the x-axis. A curve that is mostly flat will have a small average angle with the x-axis, while a curve that is steep or has many sharp turns will have a larger average angle. The smoother the curve, the closer its average angle will be to 0 degrees.

5. Is the average angle of a curve with the x-axis affected by the scale of the graph?

No, the average angle of a curve with the x-axis is not affected by the scale of the graph. This is because the angle is calculated using the slope of the curve, which is a ratio and therefore does not depend on the units or scale of the graph.