Average Cell Phone Bill with Data PlanWhat is Reasonable?

In summary, the conversation is about a person who is planning to switch to a smartphone and is seeking information on different carriers and their prices for similar devices. The options mentioned include getting an upgrade with Sprint, switching to a different carrier for an iPhone, or using a VOIP service. The conversation also includes various people sharing their monthly bills and plans with different carriers, such as Telus, Sprint, and Boost Mobile. The Sprint Simply Everything plan is mentioned to cost $99 a month for unlimited voice, text, and data, and there is a warning about additional charges for Blackberry's data plan. There is also a mention of the Palm Pre being superior to the iPhone and a suggestion to check if Boost Mobile

Average (not business) users:How much for your Cell Phone (with Data) Monthly ?

• < $40

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • $40 - $50

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • $50 - $60

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • $60 - $70

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • $70 - $80

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • $80 - $90

• $90 - $100

• > $100

• Total voters
Saladsamurai
Hey guys. I am going to finally catch up with technology and get a smart phone of sorts. But I have a dilemma: I have been with Sprint for ~7 years. It is part of a family plan, so it ends up being like $40 / month for my share.

I am eligible for an upgrade and could get a Blackberry or HTC for a good price OR I could switch carriers to get an iPhone. I can only imagine that the latter would come with a considerable increase in monthly costs.

I would like to (without getting to personal) get a rough estimate of what people pay for their cell phone bills who use similar devices.

Minutes are never a problem for me as I make few calls. But I have never needed a plan to
get online with my phone before (since I never used it). I am assuming this is what they are referring to as a DATA plan.

What are you folks paying monthly?

Computer science news on Phys.org
32 $ and a plain simple phone. It has some data limit but I only make/receive calls.

I am thinking about moving to a VOIP service like:
Google Voice: http://www.google.com/googlevoice/about.html
iCall: http://www.icall.com/
Not because they are cheaper but that they are more flexible.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not from the US, but I pay around £30 a month for about 500 mins & texts, unlimited data (including tethering, which I'm not entirely sure they know about!), unlimited international calls. The network is crap, and I don't have a "posh" phone, but I got a pretty good deal, so can't complain!

In Canada with telus i have blackberry pearl. I pay aroudn 65$ a month for unlimited calls/texts to 5 ppl i choose 250 anytime mins i think like 1gb data unlimited emails and unlimited instant msging (blackberry msger or msn msger or w/e else) as well as voicemall 10 and call display

Well, for three Palm Pre's my family pays about $150 per month for unlimited data, 1500 minutes, and 300 text messages. I'm pretty sure that the Pre's data plan is only through Sprint at the moment.

£17.50 a month with 300 any network minutes, 300 text/media messages, unlimited interthing, and a good handset.

With sprint I have a basic calling plan, about 400 minutes I think and I never use them all. I got my texting(unlimited) and data(unlimited) plans separate because I could not afford them when I first signed on. With out a package plan, getting each added seperately, I pay about $80 a month. Coverage around here is really good. I have no idea if they charge more, or less, elsewhere. From what I have seen the package plans add more minutes and options as you go for unlimited so to get unlimited texting and data on a package plan you will get a whole bunch of other stuff like international calling and what have you so they will charge you much more. I think the plans I saw with unlimited text and data were about $100 but I could be wrong. That might just be what they had at that store at that time.

Last edited:
Sorry! said:
In Canada with telus i have blackberry pearl. I pay aroudn 65$ a month for unlimited calls/texts to 5 ppl i choose 250 anytime mins i think like 1gb data unlimited emails and unlimited instant msging (blackberry msger or msn msger or w/e else) as well as voicemall 10 and call display

?

I don't understand a thing you are trying to say... :confused:

TheStatutoryApe said:
I think the plans I saw with unlimited text and data were about $100 but I could be wrong. That might just be what they had at that store at that time.

Sprint's unlimited everything plan costs $100, you're correct.

The Sprint Simply Everything plan with unlimited voice, text and data (including Blackberry) is $99 a month. Beware that unless you get the Sprint simply everythinng plan that Blackberry charges $30 a month for their data plan. If you don't use much voice, check into Sprint's everything data plan, it's cheaper.

Sprint has the Palm Pre, rated superior to the i-phone. I've used it and yes, it is superior. Palm did everything right on this phone. Much better than a blackberry, which is why a brand new blackberry is only $40 now.

Check to see if you have Boost mobile in your area. Boost is Sprint and unlimited everything is only $50 a month, but it's a pre-paid service. It's the best value though.

Equate said:
?

I don't understand a thing you are trying to say... :confused:

Well it's a list I just didn't put commas. I figured anyone knowing something about cellphone plans would be able to understand.

I pay 65 Canadian Dollars a month for:
Unlimited local calls/texts with 5 people of my choosing
250 anytime minutes +unlimited evenings/weekends starting at 9
1gb data (This is the data plan part... i think i get ripped off)
unlimited emails
unlimited instant msging (using blackberry msger or msn msg. don't know about the others haven't tried)
Voicemail 10 (10 minutes available for voicemail usage)
and Call Display
As well as the normal 911/taxi/411 and all those other nifty numbers
I use a Blackberry Pearl (which I don't recommend to anyone) which costs me 2 years ago 130$.

Last edited by a moderator:
Evo said:
The Sprint Simply Everything plan with unlimited voice, text and data (including Blackberry) is $99 a month. Beware that unless you get the Sprint simply everythinng plan that Blackberry charges $30 a month for their data plan. If you don't use much voice, check into Sprint's everything data plan, it's cheaper.

Sprint has the Palm Pre, rated superior to the i-phone. I've used it and yes, it is superior. Palm did everything right on this phone. Much better than a blackberry, which is why a brand new blackberry is only $40 now.

Check to see if you have Boost mobile in your area. Boost is Sprint and unlimited everything is only $50 a month, but it's a pre-paid service. It's the best value though.

I have Sprint and had considered the Pre. But then i went to the store and actually held one and it just felt 'cheap'. Why do you think it is superior? What does it do better than the iPhone.

Usually people who are in the market for an iPhone are interested in things like: storing a crap load of music, viewing videos, having access to more Apps than they can ever use.

I am not sure that I could be convinced that iPhone hasn't perfected this. Or at least that Sprint can do it better.

Saladsamurai said:
I have Sprint and had considered the Pre. But then i went to the store and actually held one and it just felt 'cheap'. Why do you think it is superior? What does it do better than the iPhone.

Usually people who are in the market for an iPhone are interested in things like: storing a crap load of music, viewing videos, having access to more Apps than they can ever use.

I am not sure that I could be convinced that iPhone hasn't perfected this. Or at least that Sprint can do it better.

Well, the Pre can multi-task - open multiple windows at once - while the iPhone cannot. Currently, the Pre can hold 8 GB of music which - to my knowledge - is just as much as the typical iPhone. You can also load videos on the Pre, just the same as the iPhone. And, while currently the iPhone may have more Apps, the Pre is on its way to surpassing the iPhone - especially with the homebrew app store which the iPhone does not have.

jgens said:
Well, the Pre can multi-task - open multiple windows at once - while the iPhone cannot. Currently, the Pre can hold 8 GB of music which - to my knowledge - is just as much as the typical iPhone. You can also load videos on the Pre, just the same as the iPhone. And, while currently the iPhone may have more Apps, the Pre is on its way to surpassing the iPhone - especially with the homebrew app store which the iPhone does not have.

Hmm...interesting. I wonder if you can load your iTunes library to the Pre. Like if I want to watch a video from the iTunes store or a PodCast.

Saladsamurai said:
Hmm...interesting. I wonder if you can load your iTunes library to the Pre. Like if I want to watch a video from the iTunes store or a PodCast.

Yes, currently the Pre can download your iTunes library.

Related to Average Cell Phone Bill with Data PlanWhat is Reasonable?

What factors influence the average cell phone bill with data plan?

The average cell phone bill with data plan can be influenced by several factors such as the type of phone plan, data usage, additional fees and taxes, and the number of lines on the plan.

What is considered a reasonable average cell phone bill with data plan?

A reasonable average cell phone bill with data plan can vary depending on the individual's needs and usage. As of 2020, the average monthly cell phone bill in the United States is $114, which includes data plans and additional fees.

How can I reduce my average cell phone bill with data plan?

To reduce your average cell phone bill with data plan, you can consider switching to a cheaper plan, monitoring your data usage, negotiating with your provider for discounts or promotions, or using Wi-Fi whenever possible to reduce data usage.

Are there any hidden fees or charges that can affect the average cell phone bill with data plan?

Yes, there can be hidden fees or charges that can affect the average cell phone bill with data plan. These can include activation or upgrade fees, device insurance fees, and international calling or data fees. It is important to carefully review your phone bill to understand all charges.

Is it possible to have a low average cell phone bill with data plan and still have reliable service?

Yes, it is possible to have a low average cell phone bill with data plan and still have reliable service. Many providers offer affordable plans with reliable coverage. It is important to research and compare different plans to find one that fits your budget and needs.