Average distance between two points on circle

In summary, the student is trying to find an average distance between two points on a circle. They describe the circle in two parametres and can choose any two points. The distance between the points is described by the integrals |sin((t2-t1)/2)|*dt1 and |sin(t/2)|*dt1.
player1_1_1

Homework Statement

I have very funny thing to do; I must count average distance between two points in circle of R radius:D (hahaha)

Homework Equations

Defined integrals, parametric equations, etc

The Attempt at a Solution

I am describing the circle in two parametres:
[tex]\begin{cases}x(t)=R\cos t\\ y(t)=R\sin t\end{cases}[/tex]
I can choose any two points by choosing any parameters [tex]t_1,t_2[/tex] in [tex]\langle 0;2\pi\rangle[/tex] limits. Two points [tex]A_1,A_2[/tex] will be described by coordinates
[tex]A_1=\left(R\cos t_1,R\sin t_1\right),A_2=\left(R\cos t_2,R\sin t_2\right)[/tex]
and distance between them in [tex]t_1,t_2[/tex] function
[tex]s\left(t_1,t_2\right)=\sqrt{\left(\cos t_1-\cos t_2\right)^2+\left(\sin t_1-\sin t_2\right)^2}[/tex]
now I am making double integral in limits in which [tex]t_1,t_2[/tex] changes, tzn [tex]t_1,t_2\in\langle 0;2\pi\rangle[/tex] divided by the field where the function is defined
[tex]\frac{\int\limits^{t_1=2\pi}_{t_1=0}\int\limits^{t_2=2\pi}_{t_2=0}\sqrt{\left(\cos t_1-\cos t_2\right)^2+\left(\sin t_1-\sin t_2\right)^2}\mbox{d}t_1\mbox{d}t_2}{\int\limits^{t_1=2\pi}_{t_1=0}\int\limits^{t_2=2\pi}_{t_2=0}\mbox{d}t_1\mbox{d}t_2}[/tex]
is it correct answer for average value of this function?
now I am counting integral in this way, bottom integral is [tex]4\pi^2[/tex] value, so I have
[tex]\frac{1}{4\pi^2}\int\limits^{t_1=2\pi}_{t_1=0}\int\limits^{t_2=2\pi}_{t_2=0}\sqrt{\left(\cos t_1-\cos t_2\right)^2+\left(\sin t_1-\sin t_2\right)^2}\mbox{d}t_1\mbox{d}t_2=[/tex]
[tex]=\frac{1}{4\pi^2}\int\limits^{t_1=2\pi}_{t_1=0}\int\limits^{t_2=2\pi}_{t_2=0}\sqrt{\cos^2t_1-2\cos t_1\cos t_2+\cos^2t_2+\sin^2t_1-2\sin t_1\sin t_2+\sin^2t_2}\mbox{d}t_1\mbox{d}t_2=[/tex]
[tex]=\frac{1}{4\pi^2}\int\limits^{t_1=2\pi}_{t_1=0}\int\limits^{t_2=2\pi}_{t_2=0}\sqrt{2-2\cos t_1\cos t_2-2\sin t_1\sin t_2}\mbox{d}t_1\mbox{d}t_2=[/tex]
[tex]=\frac{1}{4\pi^2}\int\limits^{t_1=2\pi}_{t_1=0}\int\limits^{t_2=2\pi}_{t_2=0}\sqrt{2\left(1-\cos\left(t_2-t_1\right)\right)}\mbox{d}t_1\mbox{d}t_2=[/tex]
[tex]=\frac{1}{4\pi^2}\int\limits^{t_1=2\pi}_{t_1=0}\int\limits^{t_2=2\pi}_{t_2=0}\sqrt{4\sin^2\left(\frac{t_2-t_1}{2}\right)}\mbox{d}t_1\mbox{d}t_2=\frac{1}{4\pi^2}\int\limits^{t_1=2\pi}_{t_1=0}\int\limits^{t_2=2\pi}_{t_2=0}2\left|\sin\left(\frac{t_2-t_1}{2}\right)\right|\mbox{d}t_1\mbox{d}t_2[/tex]
is it good way of thinking? how can I count this double integral (i mean what to do with this abs)? thanks for help!

Physics news on Phys.org
It looks to me like you are doing fine so far. The easiest way to do the last integral is to notice that the integral |sin((t2-t1)/2)|*dt1 is actually independent of the value of t2. |sin(t/2)| is periodic with period pi. It doesn't really matter whether you integrate it over an interval [0,2pi] or [a,a+2pi]. See what I mean? That means you can for example just pick t2=0 and do the integral. If you think about the original problem in the same light, you should realize you never really needed to make both t1 and t2 variable. You could fix one of them and integrate over the other. The circle is symmetric that way.

player1_1_1 said:
[tex]\frac{1}{4\pi^2}\int\limits^{t_1=2\pi}_{t_1=0}\int\limits^{t_2=2\pi}_{t_2=0}2\left|\sin\left(\frac{t_2-t_1}{2}\right)\right|\mbox{d}t_1\mbox{d}t_2[/tex]

http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/2839/sint2t1over2.jpg

is the plot of [itex]z=\sin\left( \frac{t_2-t_1}{2}\right)[/itex] for [tex]t_1,t_2\in [ 0,2\pi][/tex].

Last edited by a moderator:
Of course, there should also be [tex]R[/tex] in every integrals:) i see that now, i have finished calculations, thanks you for help! where did you find this thing which is drawing 3d function?

If I recall correctly, this is one of those problems which has several solutions that will give you equally valid but different answers. Look up Bertrand's paradox.

omg what a strange thing:D but when [tex]t_1,t_2\in\langle0;2\pi\rangle[/tex] parameters are describing any possible pair of points on the circle, answer from this integral (or also single integral when one parametr is defined) must be correct for average distance?

Related to Average distance between two points on circle

1. What is the formula for calculating the average distance between two points on a circle?

The average distance between two points on a circle can be calculated using the formula: d = r π, where d is the average distance, r is the radius of the circle, and π is the value of pi (approximately 3.14).

2. Can the average distance between two points on a circle be greater than the diameter of the circle?

No, the average distance between two points on a circle can never be greater than the diameter of the circle. The diameter is the longest distance between two points on a circle, so the average distance will always be less than or equal to the diameter.

3. What is the significance of calculating the average distance between two points on a circle?

Calculating the average distance between two points on a circle is important in understanding the distribution of points on the circle. It can also be useful in various mathematical and scientific applications, such as calculating the average speed of a moving object along a circular path.

4. How does the average distance between two points on a circle change as the size of the circle increases?

As the size of the circle increases, the average distance between two points also increases. This is because the circumference of the circle increases with the radius, resulting in a longer distance between two random points on the circle.

5. Is the average distance between two points on a circle affected by the shape of the circle?

No, the average distance between two points on a circle is only affected by the size of the circle, not its shape. This is because the formula for calculating the average distance is based on the radius and circumference of the circle, which remain the same regardless of the shape.