Average emf is it same as induced emf?

In summary: So in summary, a 25-turn circular coil of wire with a diameter of 1.00m is placed with its axis along the direction of the earth's magnetic field of 50.0 uT. After being flipped 180 degrees in 0.200 seconds, it generates an average emf of (25 * 0.785 * 50 * 10^-6 * (cos180)) / .200, or (25 * 0.785 * 100 * 10^-6) / 2. The angle is important in calculating the beginning and ending flux, but is not directly used in the final equation. The emf can also be calculated with the formula emf = NA
skull42484
average emf is it same as induced emf??

Q: a 25-turn circular coil of wire has diameter 1.00m. it is placed with its axis along the direction of the earth'smagneticfield of 50.o uT, and then in 0.200s it is flipped 180 degrees. an average emf of what magnitude is generated in the coil?

N = 25
r = .5m --------> A = 0.785m square
B = 50.0uT
t = .200s

emf = [25 * 0.785 *50 * 10^-6 * (cos180)] / .200

am i on the right track

Physics news on Phys.org
The reason they ask for the average EMF, is because it actually does change depending on at what angle in the 180 degree flip it is at (when it's halfway vs. 2/3s of the way flipping, for example). But since that's tough to calculate, they use average, so all you need to do is plug and chug using the formula

skull42484 said:
Q: a 25-turn circular coil of wire has diameter 1.00m. it is placed with its axis along the direction of the earth'smagneticfield of 50.o uT, and then in 0.200s it is flipped 180 degrees. an average emf of what magnitude is generated in the coil?

N = 25
r = .5m --------> A = 0.785m square
B = 50.0uT
t = .200s

emf = [25 * 0.785 *50 * 10^-6 * (cos180)] / .200

am i on the right track
Can you explain what law you are using and write out the formula you are applying? I think that it is asking for the emf that results from the average rate of change of flux (total change in B/total time).

AM

i am using the faraday's law of induction

induced emf = -N (d/dt) (magnetic flux)

the magnetic flux through the loop of area is
magnetic flux = BA cos__ (the degree between the magnetic field and the loop of area)

then induced emf = -N (d/dt) (BAcos__)

The only problem is your change in magnetic field... it's going from 50 to -50 microTeslas, not from 0 to -50

so the angle is not involved to the equation

and the equation that i should use is
emf = NA*(the change in magnetic field) / (the change in time)
= (25 * 0.785 * 100*10^-6) / 2
am i on the right track this time

Except it's .2 seconds, not 2 seconds

Other than that, it looks good

EDIT: Not to confuse you, the angle is critical in the question. While you don't directly use it in the calculation, you do need to know it to calculate the beginning and ending flux... for example, try now doing the same problem, where the loop is only rotated 90 degrees in .2 seconds

Last edited:
if is 90 degrees, then the change in magnetic field is 50
if so the emf = (25 * 0.785 * 50*10^-6) / .2

Exactly. So you can see how the angle is important, it's just not actually put into the final equation.

Awesome

FAQ: Average emf is it same as induced emf?

1. What is the difference between average emf and induced emf?

The average emf is the average value of the electromotive force over a period of time, while the induced emf is the instantaneous value of the electromotive force at a specific moment in time. The induced emf is caused by a changing magnetic field, while the average emf can be caused by various factors, such as a changing resistance or a changing magnetic field.

2. Is average emf always equal to induced emf?

No, average emf and induced emf are not always equal. The induced emf can vary significantly depending on the strength and direction of the changing magnetic field, while the average emf is a measure of the overall effect over a period of time.

3. How is average emf calculated?

The average emf can be calculated by dividing the total change in flux by the total change in time. Mathematically, it can be represented as: emf = ΔΦt.

4. Can average emf be negative?

Yes, average emf can be negative if there is a net decrease in the flux over a period of time. This can occur if the magnetic field is decreasing or if there is a decrease in the number of magnetic field lines passing through a conductor.

5. How does the average emf affect electrical devices?

The average emf can affect electrical devices by causing a current to flow through them. This current can be used to power the device or to perform work. Additionally, the average emf can also cause heating in the device, which can affect its performance and longevity.

Back