Average of cos(x)^2 in spherical distribution

In summary, the average value of cos^2 is calculated using the formula < cos^2(\alpha) > = (integral of cos^2(alpha)sin(alpha) from 0 to pi) / (integral of sin(alpha) from 0 to pi). To compute an average, a "weight" function is needed that integrates to 1.
joris_pixie
<< Mentor Note -- Thread moved from the technical forums so no Homework Help Template is shown >>

I'm particle physics at the moment and I don't get why the average value of cosˆ2 is 1/3.
The section :

Screen_Shot_2017_06_01_at_6_40_52_PM.png

My solution is :
[tex]< cos^{2}(\alpha)> = \frac{1}{\pi - 0} \int_{0}^{\pi } cos^{2}(\alpha)sin(\alpha)d\alpha[/tex]
I substitute
[tex]u = cos(\alpha)[/tex]
so i get
[tex]-\frac{1}{\pi}\int_{1}^{-1}u^{2}du = \frac{2}{3\pi}[/tex]

What I am i doing wrong ? :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
joris_pixie said:
<< Mentor Note -- Thread moved from the technical forums so no Homework Help Template is shown >>

I'm particle physics at the moment and I don't get why the average value of cosˆ2 is 1/3.
The section :

View attachment 204679

My solution is :
[tex]< cos^{2}(\alpha)> = \frac{1}{\pi - 0} \int_{0}^{\pi } cos^{2}(\alpha)sin(\alpha)d\alpha[/tex]
I substitute
[tex]u = cos(\alpha)[/tex]
so i get
[tex]-\frac{1}{\pi}\int_{1}^{-1}u^{2}du = \frac{2}{3\pi}[/tex]

What I am i doing wrong ? :(
$$\langle \cos^2(\alpha) \rangle =
\frac{\int_0^{\pi} \cos^2(\alpha) \sin(\alpha) \, d \alpha}{\int_0^{\pi} 1 \cdot \sin(\alpha) \, d \alpha}. $$
To compute an average like ##\langle f(x) \rangle = \int w(x) f(x) dx,## you need the "weight" function ##w(x) \geq 0## to integrate to 1.

Likes berkeman and joris_pixie
Ray Vickson said:
$$\langle \cos^2(\alpha) \rangle =
\frac{\int_0^{\pi} \cos^2(\alpha) \sin(\alpha) \, d \alpha}{\int_0^{\pi} 1 \cdot \sin(\alpha) \, d \alpha}. $$
To compute an average like ##\langle f(x) \rangle = \int w(x) f(x) dx,## you need the "weight" function ##w(x) \geq 0## to integrate to 1.

Thank you ! Makes sense!

FAQ: Average of cos(x)^2 in spherical distribution

What is the definition of average of cos(x)^2 in spherical distribution?

The average of cos(x)^2 in spherical distribution is the average value of the squared cosine of the angle x in a spherical distribution. This measurement is used to describe the distribution of data points on a sphere.

How is the average of cos(x)^2 calculated in a spherical distribution?

The average of cos(x)^2 in a spherical distribution is calculated by taking the sum of all the squared cosine values and dividing it by the total number of data points. This gives an overall measure of the spread of data points on a sphere.

What does the average of cos(x)^2 tell us about the distribution of data points on a sphere?

The average of cos(x)^2 provides information about the concentration of data points on a sphere. A larger value indicates a more concentrated distribution, while a smaller value indicates a more spread out distribution.

Why is the average of cos(x)^2 important in scientific research?

The average of cos(x)^2 is important in scientific research because it can be used to analyze and compare data distributions on a sphere. It can also be used to identify any patterns or trends in the data.

What other statistical measures are commonly used in spherical distributions?

Other commonly used statistical measures in spherical distributions include the mean, median, and standard deviation. These measures can provide further insights into the distribution of data points on a sphere.

Back