Average power when capacitor discharges

In summary, the conversation discusses a simplified circuit for a photographer's flash unit which includes a battery, resistor, capacitor, and two switches. The capacitor is initially uncharged and to charge the unit, switch S1 is closed. To fire the flash, S2 is also closed. The question asks for the average power output of the flashbulb during the capacitor's discharge time of 3.3 μsec. The solution involves using the power equation with the time included, resulting in an answer of 1718.1818.
rmusial91

Homework Statement

https://wug-s.physics.uiuc.edu/cgi/courses/shell/common/showme.pl?cc/DuPage/Phys1202/summer/homework/Ch-21-DC-Circuits/flashbulb_circuit/light-bulb.jpg

The above shows a simplified circuit for a photographer's flash unit. The circuit consists of a V = 9 V battery, connected to a R = 50 kΩ resistor, a C = 140 μF capacitor and two switches. Initially, the capacitor is uncharged and the two switches are open. To charge the unit, switch S1 is closed. To fire the flash, S2 (which is connected to the camera's shutter) is also closed.

Assume that capacitor discharges itself in 3.3 μsec. What average power put out by the flashbulb during this time? 2. The attempt at a solution
I have tried different power equation but i need to include the time so I am doing it completely wrong

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
nvm i figured it out
U=(1/2)CV^2
P=V/T
answer was 1718.1818

FAQ: Average power when capacitor discharges

What is average power when a capacitor discharges?

The average power when a capacitor discharges is the amount of energy transferred per unit time as the capacitor releases its stored energy.

How is average power calculated when a capacitor discharges?

The average power can be calculated by dividing the energy stored in the capacitor by the time it takes to discharge.

What factors affect the average power when a capacitor discharges?

The average power is affected by the capacitance of the capacitor, the voltage across the capacitor, and the time it takes for the capacitor to discharge.

Why is it important to calculate the average power when a capacitor discharges?

Calculating the average power can help determine the efficiency of a circuit and the rate at which energy is being transferred. It can also be used to select the appropriate components for a circuit to ensure safe operation.

Can the average power be negative when a capacitor discharges?

Yes, the average power can be negative when a capacitor is discharging as the energy is being released back into the circuit. This is known as regenerative braking and can be used in certain applications to conserve energy.