Average Speed Of a and b where d and t is not given

In summary: Yes, you can express the time taken in each half of the journey in terms of its speed and the distance travelled by using the following equation: t_1+t_2 = a*d*(v_avg-v).In summary, the body covers half its journey with a speed of a m/s and the other half with a speed of b m/s. The average speed of the body during the whole journey is v_{avg} = (d1/t1+d2/t2)/2(d1/t1+d2/t2).
rajatbbsr
A body covers half its journey with a speed of a m/s and the other half with a speed of b m/s Calculate the average speed of the body during the whole journey

Physics news on Phys.org
rajatbbsr said:
A body covers half its journey with a speed of a m/s and the other half with a speed of b m/s Calculate the average speed of the body during the whole journey

What have you tried so far?

Curious3141 said:
What have you tried so far?
(d1/t1+d2/t2)/2

rajatbbsr said:
(d1/t1+d2/t2)/2

The definition of average speed is

[tex]v_{avg} = \frac{\Delta x}{\Delta t} = \frac{\Delta x}{t_1+t_2},[/tex]

if we let [itex]t_1[/itex] and [itex]t_2[/itex] denote the times for the two parts of the trip. You'll lead yourself astray if you try to use shortcuts on calculating average speed.

Steely Dan said:
The definition of average speed is

[tex]v_{avg} = \frac{\Delta x}{\Delta t} = \frac{\Delta x}{t_1+t_2},[/tex]

if we let [itex]t_1[/itex] and [itex]t_2[/itex] denote the times for the two parts of the trip. You'll lead yourself astray if you try to use shortcuts on calculating average speed.

Can you please explain it to me couldn't get you

All I'm saying is that the formula I posted is the definition of average speed, the way it's commonly understood. Sometimes you can also calculate average speeds in physics I by appealing to the notion of "average" that you might already have in your head, like calculating the mean of a set of numbers. But you might get the wrong answer if you do it that way unless you're very careful. So use the physics definition that I posted instead of the algebraic mean definition. And that definition is just the total distance divided by the total amount of time.

Steely Dan said:
All I'm saying is that the formula I posted is the definition of average speed, the way it's commonly understood. Sometimes you can also calculate average speeds in physics I by appealing to the notion of "average" that you might already have in your head, like calculating the mean of a set of numbers. But you might get the wrong answer if you do it that way unless you're very careful. So use the physics definition that I posted instead of the algebraic mean definition. And that definition is just the total distance divided by the total amount of time.

hmmm got you isn't the answer is d/(t1+t2) can it be more simplified

Yes, it has to be simplified. The goal here is to write the answer only in terms of a and b, since that's the only information you have, in the sense of actual numbers.

Steely Dan said:
Yes, it has to be simplified. The goal here is to write the answer only in terms of a and b, since that's the only information you have, in the sense of actual numbers.

Can you please simplify it

That part is up to you :-)

But as a hint, start by assigning [itex]d_1,t_1[/itex] to the first part of the journey and [itex]d_2,t_2[/itex] to the second part of the journey, and [itex]d,t[/itex] to the full journey. And use the one piece of information you have regarding the connection between the two parts of the trip.

rajatbbsr said:

The definition of average speed = total distance travelled/total time taken.

It's NOT simply the average of the speeds in different legs of the journey.

You've denoted the distance traveled in each leg by d1 and d2. Since you're given that the body covers half its journey in each leg, why not just denote the distance of a single leg by d?

OK, so the total distance is 2d.

Can you now find an expression for the time taken in each half of the journey in terms of its speed and the distance travelled?

Related to Average Speed Of a and b where d and t is not given

What is the average speed formula?

The average speed formula is: average speed = total distance / total time.

How do you find the average speed without knowing distance or time?

It is not possible to find the average speed without knowing the distance or time. These are both essential components in the calculation of average speed.

Can average speed be negative?

Yes, average speed can be negative if the object is moving in the opposite direction of the reference point. In this case, the average speed will be represented by a negative value.

What is the difference between average speed and instantaneous speed?

Average speed is a measure of the overall rate of motion over a period of time, while instantaneous speed is the speed at a specific moment in time. Average speed takes into account the total distance and total time, while instantaneous speed only considers the speed at a specific point in time.

Can the average speed of two objects moving in opposite directions be the same?

No, the average speed of two objects moving in opposite directions cannot be the same. This is because their total distance and total time will be different, resulting in different average speeds.

Back