Average Vector Acceleration Along a Curve and a Straight Section

In summary: Average Acceleration is simply the magnitude of the difference between the final and initial velocity vectors.
srekai

Homework Statement

f
Capture.PNG

f

Homework Equations

##a = {v^2}{r}##
##d = vt##

The Attempt at a Solution

The way I do it is break it down into the curved and straight segment.
The bicycle is always traveling at a constant speed.
Curved portion:
distance ##\frac{\pi R^2}{4}##
acceleration ##= \frac{v^2}{R}##
time ##t = \frac{\frac{\pi R^2}{4}}{v}##

Straight portion:
distance ##R##
acceleration 0
time ##t = \frac{R}{v}##

Combining these two pieces
avg acc. = ##\frac{\frac{v^2}{R} \cdot \frac{\pi R^2}{v}}{\frac{\pi R^2}{v} +\frac{R}{v}} = \frac{\pi Rv}{\frac{\pi R^2+R}{v}} = \frac{\pi v^2}{\pi R + 1}##

As for the direction, I'm assuming it's to the right?

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    21.1 KB · Views: 779
Physics news on Phys.org
Since the acceleration around the arc is always pointing at the center of the circle, what would be the average direction on that part? Then there is no acceleration in the straight part, so the direction is not changed.

PS. When you use the term "right" you should be clear if you are talking about the right of the diagram or to the right of the velocity vector forward direction.

srekai said:
##a = {v^2}{r}##
I assume you meant v2/r. That is the magnitude of the acceleration. You are told to average acceleration as a vector.
What is the definition of average acceleration?
srekai said:
That is an area, not a distance.

Likes FactChecker
srekai said:

Homework Statement

fView attachment 229300
f

Homework Equations

##a = {v^2}{r}##
##d = vt##

Curved portion:

Straight portion:
distance ##R##
acceleration 0
time ##t = \frac{R}{v}##

avg acc. = ##\frac{\frac{v^2}{R} \cdot \frac{\pi R^2}{v}}{\frac{\pi R^2}{v} +\frac{R}{v}} = \frac{\pi Rv}{\frac{\pi R^2+R}{v}} = \frac{\pi v^2}{\pi R + 1}##

As for the direction, I'm assuming it's to th
srekai said:

Homework Statement

fView attachment 229300
f

Homework Equations

##a = {v^2}{r}##
##d = vt##

Curved portion:

Straight portion:
distance ##R##
acceleration 0
time ##t = \frac{R}{v}##

As for the direction, I'm assuming it's to the right?
Surely Average Acceleration is simply (final Velocity - initial velocity)/time taken.
In this case the subtraction is the subtraction of two vectors, and you have to work out an expression for the time interval, using speed and distance.

Likes FactChecker
PeterO said:
Surely Average Acceleration is simply (final Velocity - initial velocity)/time taken.
In this case the subtraction is the subtraction of two vectors, and you have to work out an expression for the time interval, using speed and distance.
I think that this is what @haruspex was (more subtly) alluding to.

Likes haruspex

Related to Average Vector Acceleration Along a Curve and a Straight Section

1. What is average vector acceleration?

Average vector acceleration is the average rate of change of a vector quantity, such as velocity or acceleration, over a specific time interval. It takes into account both the magnitude and direction of the vector.

2. How is average vector acceleration calculated?

Average vector acceleration is calculated by taking the change in velocity over a specific time interval and dividing it by the time interval. This can be represented mathematically as Δv/Δt, where Δv is the change in velocity and Δt is the time interval.

3. What is the difference between average vector acceleration along a curve and a straight section?

The main difference between average vector acceleration along a curve and a straight section is the direction of the acceleration. Along a curve, the acceleration may change direction as the object moves, while on a straight section, the acceleration remains constant in direction.

4. How does average vector acceleration relate to the overall motion of an object?

Average vector acceleration is a measure of how an object's velocity changes over time. It is related to the overall motion of an object because it takes into account both the magnitude and direction of the change in velocity, providing a more complete understanding of the object's motion.

5. What are some real-world applications of understanding average vector acceleration?

Understanding average vector acceleration is important in many fields, such as physics, engineering, and sports. In physics, it is used to analyze the motion of objects and explain phenomena such as projectile motion. In engineering, it helps to design structures and machines that can withstand different types of acceleration. In sports, it can be used to improve performance and prevent injuries by analyzing the acceleration of athletes during different movements.