Average velocity ##\bar{v}## for a uniformly accelerating particle

brotherbobby
Homework Statement
Show that if a particle is undergoing uniform acceleration, its average velocity over a time ##t## may be written as ##\bar{v} = \dfrac{v_f+v_i}{2}## or as ##\dfrac{x_f-x_i}{t}##, where ##f## and ##i## refer to initial and final values.
Relevant Equations
1. Average velocity is defined to be ##\quad\bar{v} \overset{\text{def.}}{=}\dfrac{\Delta x}{\Delta t}##.
2. For uniformly accelerated motion, final velocity ##\quad v_f=v_1+a_0(t_f-t_i)##
1704046769048.png
Statement of the problem :
Let me copy and paste the problem from the text. Please note it's part (i) that I am seeking to answer. I know the answer to part (ii).

Solution : To show where my error appears, I take the time(s) to be ##t_f## and ##t_i##, whereby the given time interval ##t = t_f-t_i##. The average velocity ##\small{\quad\bar{v}\overset{\text{def.}}{=}\dfrac{\Delta x}{\Delta t}= \dfrac{\int\limits_{t_i}^{t_f}v(t)dt}{t_f-t_i}=\dfrac{\int\limits_{t_i}^{t_f}(v_i+a_0t)dt}{t_f-t_i}=v_i+\dfrac{a_0}{t_f-t_i}\left[ \dfrac{t^2}{2} \right]_{t_i}^{t_f}=v_i+\dfrac{a_0}{2(t_f-t_i)}\left( t_f^2 - t_i^2\right) = v_i+\dfrac{a_0}{2}\left( t_f+t_i \right)=\dfrac{v_i+\{v_i+a_0\left( t_f+t_i\right)\}}{2}}##
The last term is not equal to the final velocity ##v_f## : ##\quad\dfrac{v_i+\overbrace{\{v_i+a_0\left( t_f+t_i\right)\}}^{\ne v_f}}{2}\ne\dfrac{v_i+v_f}{2}##.
We note that the final velocity ##v_f=v_i+a_0(t_f-t_i)##. For me, the minus sign ##-## is replaced with a plus##+## sign.
This is where I am stuck. Request : A hint would be welcome.

Physics news on Phys.org
brotherbobby said:
We note that the final velocity ##v_f=v_i+a_0(t_f-t_i)##. For me, the minus sign ##-## is replaced with a plus##+## sign.
You'll have to explain why you made that a plus sign!

PeroK said:
You'll have to explain why you made that a plus sign!
1704051745507.png

From my calculations above. The two terms which have "##-##" signs cancel, leaving the term ##t_f+t_i##.

brotherbobby said:
View attachment 337949
From my calculations above. The two terms which have "##-##" signs cancel, leaving the term ##t_f+t_i##.
You have integrated wrongly. You should find that the integral of velocity for constant acceleration is
$$x_f -x_i = v_i(t_f-t_i) +\frac 1 2 a(t_f^2 -t_i^2)$$
Ps sorry, I meant:
$$x_f -x_i = v_i(t_f-t_i) +\frac 1 2 a(t_f-t_i)^2$$

Last edited:
I don't follow you. What you wrote is exactly what I did.

##x_f -x_i = v_i(t_f-t_i) +\frac 1 2 a(t_f^2 -t_i^2)##

If you divide both sides of the equation by ##t_f-t_i##, you get ##\bar v= v_i+\dfrac{1}{2}a_0(t_f+t_i)##, which is what I got.
PeroK said:
You have integrated wrongly
Can you show me where in my workings in post #1 above?

Your integration is fine. What you have inadvertently done is used the wrong function for ##v(t)##. I ask you to evaluate ##v(t)## at ##t=t_o## and tell us what you get.

Likes PeroK and Orodruin
erobz said:
Your integration is fine. What you have inadvertently done is used the wrong function for ##v(t)##. I ask you to evaluate ##v(t)## at ##t=t_o## and tell us what you get.
I got you. We should have ##v(t) = v_i+a_0(t-t_i)##. Hence when ##t=t_i##, ##v(t_i)=v_i##.

Likes erobz
I show you the calculations below in rough. Thanks. I have solved the problem.
1704055489561.png

Likes erobz
It will save you significant algebra if you do a ##u## substitution with ##u = t - t_o ## to evaluate the integral.

##du = dt##

## u_f = t_f - t_o##

## u_o = t_o -t_o = 0 ##

$$ \bar{v} = \frac{ \int_{0}^{u_f} \left( v_o + a_o u \right) du}{u_f} $$

$$ \implies \bar{v} = \frac{v_o u_f + \frac{1}{2} a_o u_f^2 }{u_f} $$

$$ \implies \bar{v} = v_o + \frac{1}{2} a_o u_f = v_o + \frac{1}{2} a_o ( t_f - t_o ) = \frac{v_o+v_f}{2} $$