Averaging measurement with stat +sys errors

In summary: But it doesn't matter much for the result, as long as ##\epsilon\ll 1##, since you're going to take the average of two numbers, one of which is very small.
ChrisVer
Gold Member

Homework Statement

You make a measurement of two variables with 100% correlated systematic uncertainty:
[itex] x_1 \pm \Delta x_1^{stat} \pm \Delta x_1^{sys} = 1.0 \pm 0.1 \pm 0.1 [/itex]
[itex]x_2 \pm \Delta x_2^{stat} \pm \Delta x_2^{sys} = 1.2 \pm 0.1 \pm 0.2 [/itex]

The average is taken by:

[itex] \bar{x} = \sum_{i=1}^2 w_i x_i[/itex]

where [itex]w_i = \frac{\sum_j (C^{-1})_{ij}}{ \sum_{kj} (C^{-1})_{kj}}[/itex] and [itex]C=C^{stat}+ C^{sys}[/itex] the covariance matrix of the measurement.

Homework Equations

All given above

The Attempt at a Solution

I calculate [itex]C[/itex] to get its inverse and find the weights.
For that I deduced that:
[itex]C^{stat} = \begin{pmatrix} (\sigma^{stat}_1)^2 & 0 \\ 0 & (\sigma_2^{stat})^2 \end{pmatrix}[/itex]
and
[itex]C^{sys} =\begin{pmatrix} (\sigma^{sys}_1)^2 & \sigma^{sys}_1 \sigma^{sys}_2 \\ \sigma^{sys}_1 \sigma^{sys}_2 & (\sigma_2^{sys})^2 \end{pmatrix}[/itex]
due to the 100% correlated systematic uncertainties [itex]\sigma_{12}^{sys} = \rho \sigma_1^{sys} \sigma_2^{sys}= \sigma_1^{sys} \sigma_2^{sys}[/itex].

When I go to get [itex]C[/itex] then:

[itex]C=C^{stat} +C^{sys}= \begin{pmatrix} 0.01 & 0 \\ 0 & 0.01 \end{pmatrix} +\begin{pmatrix} 0.01 & 0.02 \\ 0.02 & 0.04 \end{pmatrix} =\frac{1}{100} \begin{pmatrix}2 & 2 \\ 2 & 5 \end{pmatrix} [/itex]

The inverse of this matrix is [itex]C^{-1} = \frac{50}{3} \begin{pmatrix} 5 & -2 \\ -2 & 2 \end{pmatrix} [/itex].

My problem is that with such a matrix I am getting for the weights:
[itex]w_1 =\frac{\sum_j (C^{-1})_{1j}}{ \sum_{kj} (C^{-1})_{kj}}= \dfrac{\frac{50}{3} (5-2)}{ \frac{50}{3}(5+2-2-2)}= 1[/itex]

And
[itex] w_2 = 0[/itex] (since [itex]C_{21}^{-1}= - C_{22}^{-1}[/itex]).

I don't know why this is happening... Any idea?
Obviously this doesn't seem to make sense because in the averaging I won't get any contribution from [itex]x_2[/itex]...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Including the second measurement blows up the systematic error without reducing the statistical error much. To check this, you can give the second measurement the weight ##w_2 = \epsilon \ll 1## and see what the combined uncertainty is (compared to w2=0).
I can imagine that not averaging at all is the best you can do in this special case where the systematics are weird (100% correlated, but much larger in the second case).

The thing is that this makes it a bit more strange... Because I tried before doing the same for [itex]x_1= 0.1 \pm 0.0 \pm 0.1[/itex] and [itex]x_2= 1.0 \pm 0.0 \pm 0.2[/itex] (no statistical error). The covariance matrix was:
[itex] C= \frac{1}{100} \begin{pmatrix} 1 & 2 \\ 2 & 4 \end{pmatrix} \Rightarrow C^{-1} = \begin{pmatrix} 4 & 8 \\ 8 & 16 \end{pmatrix} [/itex]
And the weigths were found to be [itex]w_1= \frac{1}{3}[/itex] and [itex]w_2= \frac{2}{3}[/itex] which make sense...

I will try to work out with [itex]w_2= \epsilon \ll 1[/itex] then... do you think [itex]w_1 = 1 - \epsilon[/itex] as well?

Also that's a weird inverse, since [itex][C^{-1} C ]_{11}= \frac{1}{100} (4+16) \ne 1[/itex]...

*edit and just realized that the determinant is zero and wolfram was giving me a pseudoinverse matrix*

ChrisVer said:
Also that's a weird inverse, since [itex][C^{-1} C ]_{11}= \frac{1}{100} (4+16) \ne 1[/itex]...

*edit and just realized that the determinant is zero and wolfram was giving me a pseudoinverse matrix*
Ah, that could be the problem.

Without statistical errors the weights should certainly be 1 and 0, as using the value with the larger (but 100% correlated) systematics is pointless.

##1-\epsilon## for the other weight, sure.

Related to Averaging measurement with stat +sys errors

What is "averaging measurement with stat + sys errors"?

"Averaging measurement with stat + sys errors" is a method used in scientific research to account for both statistical and systematic errors in data. It involves taking multiple measurements and calculating an average value while also considering any potential sources of error.

Why is it important to account for both stat and sys errors in measurements?

Statistical errors are due to random variations in data, while systematic errors result from consistent biases in the measurement process. It is important to account for both types of errors because they can significantly affect the accuracy and reliability of scientific data.

How do you calculate the average value while considering stat and sys errors?

To calculate the average value with stat + sys errors, you first take multiple measurements and calculate the mean. Then, you calculate the standard deviation to determine the statistical error. Finally, you consider any potential sources of systematic error and adjust the average value accordingly.

Can you give an example of how "averaging measurement with stat + sys errors" is used in scientific research?

One example is in a study measuring the length of a certain species of fish. To account for both statistical and systematic errors, the researchers take multiple measurements of each fish and calculate the average length. They also consider any potential sources of error, such as the accuracy of the measuring tool, and adjust the average length accordingly.

What are the limitations of "averaging measurement with stat + sys errors"?

One limitation is that it can be time-consuming and requires multiple measurements to be taken. Additionally, it may not account for all sources of error and there is always a possibility of unknown errors affecting the data. It is important to continually evaluate and improve the measurement process to minimize errors.