Avoiding the Polar Catastrophe in Polar Crystals

• Thread starter Physics Monkey
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Polar
In summary, the interface of LaAlO3 and SrTiO3 has received a lot of attention because of the presence of conducting electrons, superconductivity, and ferromagnetism. Because LaAl03 is a polar crystal, the polar catastrophe is often used as a first explanation for the presence of excess surface electrons. However, I think the carrier density at the interface, as measured by hall resistance, is much lower than the naive value from the polar catastrophe. Apparently, one possible explanation in this material is that Mott physics may localize the electrons. My interest is more general, and I'm wondering if there is a common mechanism or set of mechanisms that prevents one from seeing this surface conductivity in polar crystals in
Physics Monkey
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Hi all,

As you may know, the interface of LaAlO3 and SrTi03 has received a lot of attention because of the presence of conducting electrons, superconductivity, and ferromagnetism.

Because LaAl03 is a polar crystal, the polar catastrophe is often used as a first explanation for the presence of excess surface electrons. However, I think the carrier density at the interface, as measured by hall resistance, is much lower than the naive value from the polar catastrophe. Apparently, one possible explanation in this material is that Mott physics may localize the electrons.

My interest is more general The polar catastrophe appears very generic: for example, it seems to apply to the free surface of LaAlO3 as well, yet apparently this free surface does not conduct.

Does anyone know if there is a common mechanism or set of mechanisms that prevents one from seeing this surface conductivity in polar crystals in general e.g. disorder or mott physics? Or am I misinformed when I assume that such conducting behavior is uncommon (this is the impression I have from a few talks)?

Likes Rebeccca
Physics news on Phys.org
You should get a polar catastrophe if you cleave NaCl along (111). This is of course difficult to do because the resulting surface is charged, and thus you have to separate the opposite charges which takes a lot of energy.

Large surface charges do not exist on open surfaces because they get neutralized by ions and charges from the atmosphere (or residual vacuum - you can always find a few electrons). Polar surfaces also tend to be instable and reconstruct.

Interface conductivity has also been observed in SrTiO3 with an amorphous LaAlO3 layer on top of it. This indicates that the polar catastrophe is just one mechanism contributing to the effect, and probably not even the dominant one.

You're a brave soul, M Quack, after more than 700 views finally a reply. Thanks for taking the time.

I'm happy with the idea that charged surfaces will be quickly neutralized by stray charged particles e.g. in air.

I hadn't heard about amorphous LaAlO3, that sounds very interesting, is there somewhere I can read more about this?

One thing I don't understand is what this term "reconstruction" means in this context. For example, suppose there really were very few free ions or electrons in your vacuum chamber, and suppose you did manage to cleave this thing. The system does have to neutralize itself somehow, but I don't see how a purely surface change can achieve this i.e. you need to move charge across the entire sample. Would a potential scenario be that the polar catastrophe does produce these surface charge layers with finite density mobile charges, but these layers then don't conduct for some other reason?

Likes Rebeccca
Maybe reconstruction is not the right word in this context. You are right that you have to add or remove atoms/charges in order to neutralize the surface. There seem to be a few papers on the NaCl(111) surface, btw. It appears that this surface stabilizes by reducing the charge from Na+ to Na0.5+ - at least that's what I understood from glancing at the paper.

As for the amorphous LaAlO3, I've just seen one talk. Not sure if the results are published. This is not my work, so to give credit where it belongs:

Abstract title
Metallic interfaces at amorphous oxide-SrTiO3 heterostructures
Author
MSc Kleibeuker, J. E., MESA Institute for Nanotechnology, Enschede, Netherlands (Presenting author)

http://www.eventure-online.com/eventure/publicAbstractView.do?id=173497&congressId=5283

FAQ: Avoiding the Polar Catastrophe in Polar Crystals

1. What is the polar catastrophe in polar crystals?

The polar catastrophe in polar crystals refers to the instability of the polar crystal structure when the temperature approaches absolute zero. This instability causes the polarization of the crystal to decrease, leading to a loss of functionality in the material.

2. How can the polar catastrophe be avoided in polar crystals?

The polar catastrophe can be avoided by introducing defects or impurities into the crystal lattice. These defects can disrupt the perfect alignment of the crystal structure, preventing the decrease in polarization and maintaining the functionality of the material.

3. What types of defects are commonly used to avoid the polar catastrophe?

Commonly used defects to avoid the polar catastrophe include point defects, such as vacancies and interstitials, as well as line defects, such as dislocations. These defects can be introduced through controlled doping or by subjecting the crystal to external stresses.

4. Are there any other methods to prevent the polar catastrophe in polar crystals?

Yes, there are other methods to prevent the polar catastrophe in polar crystals. These include applying an external electric field or strain to the crystal, which can stabilize the polar structure and maintain its functionality at low temperatures.

5. Why is it important to avoid the polar catastrophe in polar crystals?

Avoiding the polar catastrophe is crucial for the development of advanced technologies that rely on polar crystals, such as ferroelectric devices and piezoelectric sensors. By preventing the decrease in polarization, we can ensure the continued functionality and reliability of these technologies at low temperatures.