Axial Anomaly and Fermion Mass

In summary: The effects are still tiny compared to the tree-level masses, and so there is still no issue with the hierarchy. But of course, as you said, there are other interesting effects that can arise in this regime. In summary, while instanton effects can potentially generate fermion masses in certain contexts, they are exponentially suppressed and do not pose a problem for the hierarchy of fermion masses in the Standard Model. The effects may be more relevant in other scenarios, such as technicolor models, and may play a role in baryogenesis and violation of B and L in the early universe. However, they do not ruin the protection afforded by chiral symmetry to fermion masses.
scientist7
It is often said that fermions are protected from large mass corrections by chiral symmetry. My question is does the axial anomaly generate corrections to fermion masses, and if so, doesn't this ruin the protection afforded by chiral symmetry to some extent?

Thanks,
Ben

Likes curious_mind
Physics news on Phys.org
The anomaly certainly cannot generate fermion masses within the context of perturbation theory.

You can, in principle, get fermion masses from instantons. Check out, for example, John Terning's TASI 2002 lecture notes (or his textbook which is based on those notes) to see how this is sometimes used to generate "gaugino" masses in supersymmetric theories.

However, for SM fermions even these effects are under control - they're exponentially suppressed, first of all. Also you are still breaking the gauge symmetry, which means that you must have a Higgs vev insertion, so that the WORST these contributions can do is shift the Yukawas. In particular, you still don't have a correction that brings the fermion masses up to the Planck scale (like the Higgs boson and the hierarchy problem) and therefore there is still no problem.

I haven't thought too hard about this question, but there might not even be an instanton effect for fermions in the SM - I'm not sure. But I would claim that even if there is, then it's irrelevant.

Thank you for the response, blechman.

The suppression factor, e^{-8 \pi^{2}/g^{2}}), is usually small, but not so small for SU(3) instantons since the coupling constant is large at low energy.

So if instanton effects are big enough to solve the axial U(1) problem (and the effects are really visible since the symmetry would otherwise be there yet one finds that nature doesn't respect this symmetry at all!), it seems like they might be able to have a significant effect on fermions. Well maybe not Planck scale sized, but I wonder what the size of corrections would be?

I actually own the Terning book, though admittedly I don't have a mastery of it at all. I remember him getting gaugino masses through holomorphy arguments, but these cannot apply to just the non-SUSY Standard Model. So I have no idea how one would calculate, if they exist, instanton contributions to SM fermion masses.

I'm not convinced there is any contribution to the quark masses from QCD instantons:

Instanton bubbles can generate a 't Hooft operator det {Qbar Q} where the det is over the flavor structure. See Terning, Ch 7. You would then need pairs of fermions to "annhiliate" into a Higgs, which then goes to its vev, leaving one pair left over. so you would have something like:

Qbar Q * (yv)^p * I

where y=yukawa coupling, v=higgs vev, p=number of pairs that are annihilated, and I is the Instanton amplitude (see, for example, Coleman's "Aspects of Symmetry", ch 7).

As you can see, even in the QCD case, I is still quite small, and so the correction is TINY relative to the tree-level Yukawa coupling. This is why I say the correction is irrelevant for SM fermions.

That being said: these effects might be there, and be important, in other contexts, such as the gaugino masses I mentioned earlier, as well as various aspects of technicolor models where there is strong coupling and chains of broken gauge groups (so there are other sources of breaking besides the Higgs). So these effects might be there in that case. But they should be irrelevant to the SM fermions themselves, as things are.

ADDED:
BTW: it is these operators that allow for violation of B and L in the early universe (both of which are anomalous, while B-L is not), and may potentially play a role in baryogenesis, for example. I just thought I'd mention that while I'm here...

Its precisely in this regime where there may be a hitch, b/c while those operators are tiny in vacuum, they might not be in a thermal bath.

Haelfix said:
Its precisely in this regime where there may be a hitch, b/c while those operators are tiny in vacuum, they might not be in a thermal bath.

Yes, I agree that the story is more complicated in this regime. However, from the point of view of asking if fermions have a "hierarchy problem" like the Higgs due to these instanton effects, I think the answer is simply, "No."

Related to Axial Anomaly and Fermion Mass

1. What is the axial anomaly?

The axial anomaly is a quantum mechanical phenomenon in theoretical physics that arises in the calculation of certain physical quantities called Green's functions. It refers to the breaking of a symmetry in these calculations due to the integration of quantum fluctuations. In particular, the axial anomaly is related to the breaking of chiral symmetry in quantum field theories.

2. What is chiral symmetry?

Chiral symmetry is a symmetry between left-handed and right-handed particles in a quantum field theory. It states that the laws of physics are the same for left-handed particles as they are for right-handed particles. In other words, the interactions between particles do not depend on their chirality, or handedness.

3. How does the axial anomaly affect fermion mass?

The axial anomaly can affect fermion mass by contributing to the generation of mass through a process called spontaneous symmetry breaking. In certain quantum field theories, the breaking of chiral symmetry can lead to the generation of mass for fermions through the Higgs mechanism.

4. What is the role of the axial anomaly in the Standard Model of particle physics?

The Standard Model is a theoretical framework that describes the fundamental particles and interactions in the universe. The axial anomaly plays a crucial role in the Standard Model, particularly in the generation of mass for particles and in the understanding of the strong interaction between quarks through the theory of quantum chromodynamics.

5. Are there any experimental observations that support the existence of the axial anomaly?

Yes, there have been various experimental observations that support the existence of the axial anomaly. One example is the violation of the Gell-Mann-Nishijima formula, which relates the electric charge of a particle to its isotopic spin. This violation is caused by the axial anomaly in the context of the strong interaction between quarks.