Axial velocity for fully developed flow in a pipe

In summary, the axial velocity for a fully developed laminar flow in a pipe can be calculated using vx=2*u*(1-r^2/ro^2), where u is the maximum velocity and ro is the radius. This equation can be derived from the Navier-Stokes equations. Other types of axial velocities for flows in ducts with different width and height ratios can be found in the book "Viscous Flow" by White. Additionally, researching Hagen-Poisoulle flows can provide more information on pressure-driven flows in pipes.
Quadruple Bypass

Homework Statement

The book I am reading just randomly states that the axial velocity for a fully developed laminar flow in a pipe is vx=2*u*(1-r^2/ro^2). i am not sure where this comes from. does come from the navier stokes equations?

also, is there a book that lists other types of axial velocities for flows in a duct with different width and height ratios?

Homework Equations

navier stokes?

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you would be wise to do a google search Hagen-Poisoulle flows. Flows like these are pressure driven, essentially reducing to pipe flow.

That equation looks like the velocity at a certain radius, given the maximum velocity u. That is, when the radius is ro, you get 1-(ro/ro) or 0 -> no flow on the pipe wall.

Also, yes there are analytic solutions for different geometries. I have "Viscous Flow Flow" by White which I believe lists solutions for different geometries.

Thanks, ill look up some stuff on Hagen-Poisoulle flows.

Unfortunately i couldn't find any free pdfs of that book from google :(

Related to Axial velocity for fully developed flow in a pipe

1. What is axial velocity for fully developed flow in a pipe?

Axial velocity for fully developed flow in a pipe refers to the speed at which the fluid is moving parallel to the axis of the pipe. It is a measure of the flow rate and is constant once the flow has reached a fully developed state.

2. How is axial velocity calculated?

Axial velocity can be calculated by dividing the volumetric flow rate by the cross-sectional area of the pipe. It can also be calculated using the equation v = (Q/A), where v is the axial velocity, Q is the volumetric flow rate, and A is the cross-sectional area of the pipe.

3. What factors affect the axial velocity in a pipe?

The axial velocity in a pipe is affected by the diameter of the pipe, the viscosity of the fluid, and the pressure drop along the length of the pipe. Additionally, the presence of obstructions or bends in the pipe can also affect the axial velocity.

4. Why is axial velocity important in fluid mechanics?

Axial velocity is an important parameter in fluid mechanics because it helps to determine the flow rate of a fluid through a pipe. It is also used to calculate other important variables such as Reynolds number and shear stress, which are crucial in understanding the behavior of fluids in pipes.

5. How does axial velocity change in turbulent flow compared to laminar flow?

In turbulent flow, the axial velocity is generally higher compared to laminar flow. This is because turbulent flow involves chaotic movement of fluid particles, which results in higher velocities. In laminar flow, the fluid particles move in a more orderly manner, resulting in lower axial velocities.