Axiom of Choice to prove two propositions.

In summary: Your Name]In summary, the conversation discussed the implications of the Axiom of Choice and how it can be used to prove two statements: (1) Every uncountable set has a subset of cardinality \aleph_1, and (2) If B is an infinite set and A is a subset of B such that |A| \lneq |B|, then |B - A| = |B|. The well-ordering principle, which is equivalent to the AC, can be used to prove statement (1), while the AC itself can be used to prove statement (2). The conversation also mentioned the possibility of deleting a post on the forum and the importance of posting in the appropriate forum.
erogard
Hi everyone,

we recently covered some implications of the AC and are now to prove the followings statements with the help of the AC or one of its equivalent:

(1) Every uncountable set has a subset of cardinality [tex]\aleph_1[/tex] (the least initial ordinal not less or equal than [tex]\aleph_0[/tex], the latter being the cardinality of the set of natural numbers, i.e. [tex]N[/tex] itself)

(2) If B is an infinite set and A is a subset of B such that |A| [tex] \lneq [/tex] |B|, then |B - A| = |B|

I have mostly thought about (1) and to fix f as a choice function for such an uncountable set; then the image of this set under f is an element of it, of cardinality less or equal than that of the uncountable one (call it A).

(well I just realized that it is possible to edit the post so I'll be back with my full post in the proper form with my main attempts on (1) )

PS: is it possible to delete this post? figured out that the Set Theory forum might be more appropriate, my bad.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there,

Thank you for bringing up these interesting statements about the Axiom of Choice (AC). I am familiar with the AC and its implications in mathematics, especially in set theory.

To prove statement (1), we can use the well-ordering principle, which is equivalent to the AC. This principle states that every set can be well-ordered, meaning that there exists a total order on the set such that every non-empty subset has a least element. Using this principle, we can construct a well-ordered subset of the uncountable set, which will have the same cardinality as the set itself. This subset will then have a cardinality of \aleph_1, as it is the least initial ordinal not less or equal than \aleph_0.

For statement (2), we can use the AC directly. Let A be a subset of the infinite set B such that |A| \lneq |B|. This means that there exists a bijection between A and a proper subset of B. Using the AC, we can choose an element from the complement set B - A for each element in A. This will create a bijection between B - A and B, proving that |B - A| = |B|.

I hope this helps to clarify these statements and their proofs. And don't worry about posting in the wrong forum, we all make mistakes sometimes. It's great that you realized and took the time to repost in the appropriate forum.

Related to Axiom of Choice to prove two propositions.

1. What is the Axiom of Choice?

The Axiom of Choice is a fundamental principle in mathematics that states that given any collection of non-empty sets, it is possible to choose one element from each set. This allows for the creation of new sets that cannot be explicitly defined, making it a powerful tool in mathematical proofs.

2. How is the Axiom of Choice used to prove two propositions?

The Axiom of Choice is often used as a tool to construct mathematical objects that are necessary to prove certain propositions. By using the Axiom of Choice, one can show that a set with certain properties exists, even if it cannot be explicitly defined. This allows for the proof of propositions that may otherwise be difficult or impossible to prove.

3. Can the Axiom of Choice be proven or disproven?

No, the Axiom of Choice cannot be proven or disproven. It is an assumption or an axiom that is accepted as true in mathematics. However, it can be used to prove other mathematical statements.

4. Are there any limitations to using the Axiom of Choice?

There are some mathematicians who argue that the Axiom of Choice can lead to counterintuitive or paradoxical results, such as the Banach-Tarski paradox. However, the majority of mathematicians accept the Axiom of Choice as a useful and necessary tool in mathematics.

5. Is the Axiom of Choice necessary for all mathematical proofs?

No, the Axiom of Choice is not necessary for all mathematical proofs. There are many mathematical statements that can be proven without using the Axiom of Choice. However, there are also many important and interesting mathematical results that can only be proven with the use of the Axiom of Choice.

Back