Azeotropic distillation Please help final coming up

In summary: But I have a feeling I will be asked about it on the test. In summary, azeotropic distillation is a process by which vapor pressure of a compound equals the ambient pressure to boil. I was assigned to do Aldol condensation and by chance I didn't have to do Sulcatol distillation. But I have a feeling I will be asked about it on the test.
Aerodynamic20

Homework Statement

Hello,

I am curious on how azeotropic distillation works. I know it has to do with the gas law, PV=nRT but I would like to know in depth analysis how this process works.

I have organic 2 lab final coming up (this Tuesday) and it may happen we might be asked to explain how azeotropic distillation works.

The experiment we did was synthesis of Sulcatol (6-methyl-5-hepeten-2-ol). I transferred the crude prepared Sulcatol to a round bottom flask connect to thermometer and manometer (to measure the pressure). Also, pump was connected to the set-up to generate pressure, and I heated the crude sulcatol till it evaporated. Can someone help me in explaining what is going on in the pressure-boiling process?

Also, I would like to know why the manometer reading is in negative not positive?

Homework Equations

PV=nRT

The Attempt at a Solution

I think the process is related to pressure-boiling points. I know both are directly proportional, when temperature increases, pressure increases. But I am not sure how I can relate to what I learned in general chemistry 2 semesters ago.

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Please help. I posted this question yesterday and I don't know what I am missing. Can someone if my trial is incomplete?

I am new to the forum.

Thanks.

Aerodynamic20 said:

Homework Statement

Hello,

I am curious on how azeotropic distillation works. I know it has to do with the gas law, PV=nRT but I would like to know in depth analysis how this process works.

I have organic 2 lab final coming up (this Tuesday) and it may happen we might be asked to explain how azeotropic distillation works.

The experiment we did was synthesis of Sulcatol (6-methyl-5-hepeten-2-ol). I transferred the crude prepared Sulcatol to a round bottom flask connect to thermometer and manometer (to measure the pressure). Also, pump was connected to the set-up to generate pressure, and I heated the crude sulcatol till it evaporated. Can someone help me in explaining what is going on in the pressure-boiling process?

The pump you refer to was actually a vacuum pump. You pulled a vacuum on your distillation rig and did a vacuum distillation. Did you collect anything?

When the vapor pressure of your compound (yes, it it temperature dependent!) equals the ambient pressure, your compound will boil. If you cool the sulcatol vapors, they will condense. If you direct the vapors to a different part of the apparatus and cool/collect them there, you have performed a distillation.

chemisttree said:
The pump you refer to was actually a vacuum pump. You pulled a vacuum on your distillation rig and did a vacuum distillation. Did you collect anything?

When the vapor pressure of your compound (yes, it it temperature dependent!) equals the ambient pressure, your compound will boil. If you cool the sulcatol vapors, they will condense. If you direct the vapors to a different part of the apparatus and cool/collect them there, you have performed a distillation.

Yes, I collected the distillate in Hickman's head which is attached to the air condenser. Thanks for the response. I did the exam today and it was a practical exam. I was assigned to do Aldol condensation and by chance I didn't have to do Sulcatol distillation.

Related to Azeotropic distillation Please help final coming up

1. What is azeotropic distillation?

Azeotropic distillation is a method of separating two or more liquids with similar boiling points by using a third component, called an entrainer. The entrainer forms an azeotrope with one of the liquids, allowing for the separation of the other liquid.

2. How does azeotropic distillation work?

In azeotropic distillation, the mixture of liquids is heated and the vapors are condensed. The condensed vapors are then fed into a second distillation column where they are mixed with the entrainer. The entrainer forms an azeotrope with one of the liquids, allowing for the separation of the other liquid.

3. What are the advantages of azeotropic distillation?

Azeotropic distillation can achieve higher purities and yields compared to other distillation methods. It is also a more energy-efficient process and can be used for a wide range of mixtures.

4. What are the limitations of azeotropic distillation?

One limitation of azeotropic distillation is that it requires a third component, which can be costly. It also has a smaller operating range compared to other distillation methods, making it less suitable for some mixtures.

5. How is azeotropic distillation used in industry?

Azeotropic distillation is commonly used in the petrochemical industry for the separation of various hydrocarbon mixtures. It is also used in the production of specialty chemicals and in the purification of pharmaceuticals.