Azimuthal and Particle in a box equations

In summary, the Azimuthal equation and the particle in a box equation are mathematically the same, but they have different allowed wave functions due to the boundary conditions. The Azimuthal equation corresponds to the Azimuthal motion of a particle, while the particle in a box equation is the result of the 1D Schrödinger equation. The radial equation may impose constraints on the quantum number m_l, which is a function of l. The difference between the two equations lies in the constraints and boundary conditions, leading to different allowed wave functions.
maxiee

Homework Statement

Mathematically, the Azimuthal equation is the same differential equation as the one for a particle in a box. But [tex] \Phi(\phi) [/tex] for [tex] m_l = 0 [/tex], is a constant and is allowed, whereas such a constant wave function is not allowed for a particle in a box. What physics accounts for the difference?

Homework Equations

The Azimuthal Equation:
[tex]
\frac{\partial ^{2} \Phi(\phi)}{\partial \phi^{2}} = -m_l ^{2} \Phi(\phi)
[/tex]

The particle in a box equation:
[tex]
\frac{\partial ^{2} \psi(x)}{\partial \psi^{2}} = -k ^{2} \psi(x)
[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

The boundary conditions seem to play a role in the different allowed wave functions. However, I am having trouble relating the boundary conditions to the allowed quantum numbers.

Thanks in advance

Edit: The Azimuthal Equation corresponds to the Azimuthal motion of a particle. It comes about from the 3D Schrodinger Eq.
The Equation for a particle in a box is the result of the 1D Schrodinger Eq.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
There may come restrictions on [tex]m_l[/tex] or [tex]k[/tex] from the differential equations for the other coordinates. Now, I don't really remember the details but I think the radial equation imposes constraints on [tex]m_l[/tex]. The notation implies that [tex]m_l=m_l(l)[/tex]. That is, [tex]m_l[/tex] is a function of [tex]l[/tex], which appears in the equation for [tex]\theta[/tex] I think, solved by the Legendre polynomials. I might be remembering this wrong however, mixing things up. But in general, I think this would be the difference - that you have different constraints in the two cases.
[STRIKE]
It would probably be good if you could explain a bit more in detail where the equations come from, I can only assume you are solving some PDE similar to the wave eq. or Schrödinger eq.[/STRIKE]

EDIT: Sorry, I can see that it is most probably the Schrödinger eq. you are solving.

Last edited:

FAQ: Azimuthal and Particle in a box equations

1. What is the purpose of the Azimuthal equation?

The Azimuthal equation, also known as the Angular Momentum equation, describes the quantum state of an electron in an atom. It determines the shape of the electron's orbital, which affects its energy and behavior within the atom.

2. How does the Azimuthal equation differ from the Particle in a Box equation?

The Azimuthal equation describes the quantum state of an electron in an atom, while the Particle in a Box equation describes the quantum state of a particle confined to a one-dimensional space. The Azimuthal equation takes into account the electron's angular momentum and the influence of the nucleus, while the Particle in a Box equation only considers the particle's energy levels within the box.

3. What are the variables in the Azimuthal equation?

The variables in the Azimuthal equation include the principal quantum number (n), the azimuthal quantum number (l), the magnetic quantum number (m), and the spin quantum number (s). These variables determine the electron's energy, orbital shape, and orientation within the atom.

4. How is the Particle in a Box equation used in quantum mechanics?

The Particle in a Box equation is used to study the behavior of particles in a confined space, such as electrons in a semiconductor or atoms in a molecule. It helps to predict the energy levels and allowed transitions of these particles, which is crucial in understanding their physical properties and behavior.

5. Can the Azimuthal equation and Particle in a Box equation be applied to all particles?

No, these equations are specific to quantum mechanics and cannot be applied to classical objects. They are used to describe the behavior of subatomic particles, such as electrons, protons, and neutrons, that exhibit wave-like properties and follow the laws of quantum mechanics.

Back