Azimuthal direction vector notation

In summary: So the angle is 90 degrees).In summary, the conversation was about the use of vector notation, specifically square bracket notation, in ion scattering spectroscopy experiments. The group discusses the meaning of notations like [11-2] or [1-10] and how they relate to degrees. They also mention the use of azimuthal angles in these experiments and how they are measured from a specific direction. The conversation ends with one member thanking another for their knowledge and the clarification of the notation.
cdjemba
Hello everyone!

I am trying to do a literature search about ion scattering spectroscopy experiments. But I am not good at the vector notation which is used in these articles. I mean the notations with square brackets like [11-2] or [1-10] etc. (-2: the bar is on 2). For instance in a graph like
"[URL=http://img9.imageshack.us/my.php?image=azim.png[/URL]
How that [11-2] azimuthal direction means 90 degrees or [-12-1] shows 150 degrees or so the others? Or when they say "the particle is sent in the [B][1-10] azimuthal direction[/B]" what does this mean in terms of degrees? How can I learn about and understand this notation?

Thanks
Love&respect...

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The graphic I'd sent is an azimuthal ICISS (impact collision ion scattering spectroscopy) scan of a fcc (111) lattice.
Help me please...

Anybody knows the answer?

These notations look like directions in the lattice -or maybe Miller indices - but usually Miller index notation is in round brackets, like (111) .
In any case they have nothing to do with azimuthal notation.
If they are directions, then [1,1,1] means the direction of a vector with components 1*a+1*b+1*c where a,b,c are the three unit vectors of the lattice.

I don't know what the angles on the x-axis mean, I am not familiar with this method.

Thanks nasu for your reply. The x-axis in the figure which I'd sent before is the azimuthal angle. I'm posting another figure related the first one I'd sent before:
http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/7756/azim2.png
What should I understand from these figures? It's not the miller indices I think. They don't match with the azimuthal angles.
Thanks&regards...

Last edited by a moderator:
The introduction to the Miller index page on wikipedia is good for an explanation of the bracket notation if you ever can't remember. The square brackets are directions in the lattice - i can't remember exactly since i studied this stuff a few years ago, but i think the direction points to the lattice site responsible for the dip in each case.

the azimuthal angle is the angle between the incoming ions incident onto the crystal and the position of the detector. if you look at the wiki page azimuth then you may get an idea, or the diagram just under the heading alternative derivation on the bragg's law page, where it would be equal to 180 - 2*theta. if i remember correctly, its used because that's how the x-ray diffraction setups work, you spin the detector around the crystal and the crystal twists a bit too, but as i said, been a few years since i played around with one of them.

anyway, sorry if I'm being condescending in any way, don't know what level to talk at in this forum, but hey, you'll probably never hear from me again

First I'd like to thank you for the reply.
English is not my native language. So I cannot understand what is meaning 'condescending' or not:)
The definition I knew: the azimuth of a point is the angle between the positive x-axis and the projection of the vector onto the xy-plane (the component of the vector in the xy-plane). According to this definition: shouldn't that [11-2] direction mean 45 degrees? Or did they use the 'horizontal coordinat system' or anything else? Or am I wrong?
Anyway, thanks for sharing your knowledge with me...

If you look at your original graph you see that the angle zero corresponds to the direction [-110]. So they measure the angle from this direction - this is your x axis.
So the angle between [-110] and [11-2] for example is 90 degrees (the dot product of the two vectors is zero.

Related to Azimuthal direction vector notation

1. What is Azimuthal direction vector notation?

Azimuthal direction vector notation is a mathematical representation of a direction in three-dimensional space. It is used to describe the direction of a vector relative to a reference direction, typically the North, South, East, or West direction.

2. How is Azimuthal direction vector notation written?

Azimuthal direction vector notation is typically written in the form of a unit vector, with a magnitude of 1, followed by a direction symbol, such as a hat (^) or a letter, indicating the direction. For example, a unit vector in the East direction would be written as 1j, and a unit vector in the North direction would be written as 1i.

3. What are the components of Azimuthal direction vector notation?

The components of Azimuthal direction vector notation are the magnitude and direction of the vector. The magnitude represents the length of the vector, while the direction represents the direction of the vector relative to a reference direction.

4. How is Azimuthal direction vector notation used in science?

Azimuthal direction vector notation is commonly used in fields such as physics, geology, and astronomy to describe the direction of forces, movements, and measurements. It allows scientists to accurately represent and calculate directional quantities in three-dimensional space.

5. Are there any alternative notations for Azimuthal direction vector notation?

Yes, there are alternative notations for Azimuthal direction vector notation, such as polar coordinates, spherical coordinates, and compass headings. However, Azimuthal direction vector notation is the most commonly used notation in scientific fields due to its simplicity and accuracy.