AZING!The Second Law of Thermodynamics and Entropy Changes in a Heat Engine

In summary, the hot reservoir loses entropy as energy is transferred to the engine, which in turn gains entropy. This allows the engine to perform work, leading to a decrease in entropy of the engine and an increase in entropy of the surroundings. Additionally, there is a loss of entropy by the engine and a gain by the cold sink as the engine transfers thermal energy, following the second law of thermodynamics. However, the engine itself does not experience a change in entropy as it operates on a cycle.
Peter G.
Hi,

A heat engine operates between a high-temperature source and a sink at a lower temperature as shown below:

The diagram shows a hot reservoir transferring energy to a engine that does work and dissipates the remaining energy into a cold sink.

The question is: There is a gain in entropy as a result of the engine doing work W. Identify two further entropy changes and, by reference to the second law of thermodynamics, state how the three changes are related.

My attempt:

Entropy is lost by the hot reservoir as energy is transferred to the engine (entropy gained by engine). The relation is this enables the engine to perform work, leading to a decrease in entropy of the engine and an increase in entropy of the surroundings. Finally, the last one I identified regarded the loss of entropy by the engine and gain by the cold sink as the engine transfers thermal energy to the cold sink for the engine can't be 100% efficient.

Marking scheme

Gain G when thermal energy transferred to sink/cold reservoir; loss L when thermal energy transferred from source/hot reservoir; the overall / total entropy of the universe increases; law implies

What I said fits? Did I go wrong somewhere?

Thanks in advance,
Peter G.

Physics news on Phys.org
Peter G. said:
The question is: There is a gain in entropy as a result of the engine doing work W. Identify two further entropy changes and, by reference to the second law of thermodynamics, state how the three changes are related.

My attempt:

Entropy is lost by the hot reservoir as energy is transferred to the engine (entropy gained by engine). The relation is this enables the engine to perform work, leading to a decrease in entropy of the engine and an increase in entropy of the surroundings. Finally, the last one I identified regarded the loss of entropy by the engine and gain by the cold sink as the engine transfers thermal energy to the cold sink for the engine can't be 100% efficient.

Marking scheme

Gain G when thermal energy transferred to sink/cold reservoir; loss L when thermal energy transferred from source/hot reservoir; the overall / total entropy of the universe increases; law implies

What I said fits? Did I go wrong somewhere?
The gain in entropy referred to in the question is the overall change in entropy of the system + surroundings. There are two entropy changes that contribute to this: the decrease in entropy of the hot reservoir and the (larger in magnitude) increase in entropy of the cold reservoir. That is all. The engine operates on a cycle so it returns to its original state at the completion of each cycle. This means that the engine itself experiences no change in entropy.

AM

Related to AZING!The Second Law of Thermodynamics and Entropy Changes in a Heat Engine

1. What is the Second Law of Thermodynamics?

The Second Law of Thermodynamics is a fundamental principle in physics that states that in any isolated system, the total entropy of the system will always increase over time. In simpler terms, it means that in any process, there will always be some energy that is lost or wasted in the form of heat.

2. How does the Second Law of Thermodynamics relate to entropy?

Entropy is a measure of the disorder or randomness in a system. The Second Law of Thermodynamics states that the total entropy of a system will always increase over time, meaning that the disorder or randomness in a system will also increase over time.

3. Can the Second Law of Thermodynamics be violated?

No, the Second Law of Thermodynamics is a fundamental law of nature and cannot be violated. It has been proven to hold true in all physical systems and processes, and there are no known exceptions to this law.

4. How does the Second Law of Thermodynamics apply to living organisms?

Living organisms are able to maintain their internal order and structure despite the increase in entropy predicted by the Second Law of Thermodynamics because they are constantly taking in energy and converting it into usable forms. However, the overall entropy of the universe still increases due to the waste heat produced by these processes.

5. What are some real-life examples of the Second Law of Thermodynamics in action?

Some common examples of the Second Law of Thermodynamics include the cooling of a hot cup of coffee, the melting of ice cubes in a drink, and the diffusion of a gas from a high-pressure area to a low-pressure area. In all of these processes, energy is lost in the form of heat and the overall entropy of the system increases.