-b.1.3.1 Order and if eq is linear

• MHB
  • Thread starter karush
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Linear
In summary, the book defines linearity of an equation as F(x, y, y', y'', ..., y^n)=0 being a linear function of y, y', ..., y^{(n)}, if F is a linear function of y, y', ..., y^{(n)}
karush
Gold Member
MHB
$\displaystyle
x^2\frac{d^2y}{dx^2}+x\frac{dy}{dx}+2y=\sin(x)
$
I probably am not advanced enough to understand this but thot I would take a shot at it

the order of this is second due to the order of the highest derivative that appears.
but I didn't see why this is a linear equation..

The book defines this "The differential equation

$\displaystyle F\left(x,y',y''...y^n\right)=0$

is said to be linear if \(\displaystyle F\) is a linear function of the variables \(\displaystyle x,y',y''...y^n\)

thanks for any help on this...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
karush said:
$\displaystyle
x^2\frac{d^2y}{dx^2}+x\frac{dy}{dx}+2y=\sin(x)
$
I probably am not advanced enough to understand this but thot I would take a shot at it

the order of this is second due to the order of the highest derivative that appears.
but I didn't see why this is a linear equation..

The book defines this "The differential equation

$\displaystyle F\left(x,y',y''...y^n\right)=0$

is said to be linear if \(\displaystyle F\) is a linear function of the variables \(\displaystyle x,y',y''...y^n\)
Check your textbook again. I would be very surprised if it said this because it isn't true. What is true is that the equation [tex]F(x, y', y'', ..., y^(n))= 0[/tex] is said to be linear if F is a linear function of [tex]y', y'', ..., y^(n)[/tex]. Do you see the difference? F does not have to be linear in the independent variable, x.

You can write [tex]x^2\frac{d^2y}{dx^2}+x\frac{dy}{dx}+2y=\sin(x)[/tex] as
[tex]x^2y''+ xy+ 2y= sin(x)[/tex] where the only non-linear functions are of x: [tex]x^2[/tex] and [tex]sin(x)[/tex].

thanks for any help on this...

HallsofIvy said:
Check your textbook again. I would be very surprised if it said this because it isn't true. What is true is that the equation [tex]F(x, y', y'', ..., y^(n))= 0[/tex] is said to be linear if F is a linear function of [tex]y', y'', ..., y^(n)[/tex]. Do you see the difference? F does not have to be linear in the independent variable, x.

View attachment 2087

scanned from the book "Elementary Differential Equations and Boundary Value Problems"
I guess there is a difference...
So I did read the Wiki on this ... so I presume a linear eq when plotted is a straight line..

what would be an example of the eq
$\displaystyle x^2\frac{d^2y}{dx^2}+x\frac{dy}{dx}+2y=\sin(x)
$
since it is a linear eq but has \(\displaystyle x^2\) and \(\displaystyle \sin(x)\) in it

Okay, so you do see now that what you wrote before is not what is said in your book.

You said before that
The differential equation [tex]F(x, y, y', y'', ..., y^n)= 0[/tex] is said to be linear if F is linear function of x, y, y', ..., [tex]y^n[/tex].

What you post now, from your book, says [tex]F(x, y, y', y'', ..., y^{(n)})= 0[/tex] is said to be linear if F is a linear function of y, y', ..., [tex]y^{(n)}[/tex].

The difference is that x is NOT included in the list after "F is a linear function of". F may be a non-linear function of x but still give a linear differential equation as long as it is a linear function of the dependent variable, y, and its derivatives.

OK that helps I will try the other problems
I would hit the thanks button but it doesn't appear on my mobil phone

I need to continue with this but have to move to another subject so will mark this as solved. this reply's were certainly helpful

FAQ: -b.1.3.1 Order and if eq is linear

1. What is an order in the context of equations?

An order in equations refers to the degree or highest power of the variable in the equation. For example, in the equation y = 3x^2 + 2x + 1, the order is 2 because x is raised to the second power.

2. How do you determine if an equation is linear?

An equation is linear if it has a constant rate of change and the highest power of the variable is 1. This means that the equation can be written in the form y = mx + b, where m is the slope and b is the y-intercept.

3. What is the difference between linear and non-linear equations?

A linear equation has a constant rate of change and a linear graph, meaning it forms a straight line. Non-linear equations do not have a constant rate of change and their graphs do not form a straight line.

4. How can you tell if an equation is a first-order or second-order linear equation?

A first-order linear equation has a maximum degree of 1, while a second-order linear equation has a maximum degree of 2. This means that the highest power of the variable in a first-order equation is 1, while in a second-order equation it is 2.

5. Can an equation be both linear and non-linear?

No, an equation cannot be both linear and non-linear. It can only fall into one category based on its rate of change and the degree of the variable. However, it is possible for an equation to have both linear and non-linear terms, such as in a polynomial equation.