B Field Inside of Sphere using Sep. Variables

In summary, the conversation is discussing the use of Poisson's equation to find the field inside a uniformly magnetized sphere. This involves expressing H as the gradient of a scalar potential and using the fact that ∇⋅M acts as the source. The conversation also mentions comparing the solution to example 6.1, which uses a different method. There is some confusion about using spherical coordinates and the reasoning behind expressing M as Mcos(θ).
bowlbase
Done editing I hope.

Homework Statement

If Jf = 0 everywhere, then (as we showed in class), one can express H as the gradient of a scalar potential, W. W satisfies Poisson’s equation with ∇⋅M as the source. Use this fact to find the field inside a uniformly magnetized sphere. (Griffiths has some additional verbiage
intended to help, but I think you already know what he says.) Compare your answer with
example 6.1 (p. 264-5), which is this problem solved by another method.

Homework Equations

##H^\perp_{above} - H^\perp_{below}=-(M^\perp_{above}- M^\perp_{below})##

The Attempt at a Solution

My question is with the constraints and in particular the one I have in the equations section. I had this as ##∇W^\perp_{in} - ∇W^\perp_{out}=M^\perp## Since at r=R they are equivalent. I know that ##M^\perp## must writable as some version of M but I cannot determine what. I know the solutions manual has ##M\hat{z}\hat{r}= Mcos(θ)## but I don't understand how they have ##\hat{z}## in spherical coordinates...

Thanks for any clarification.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Can you be more precise about your confusion regarding [itex]\hat{z}[/itex]?

More than the z vector I'm just confused how they got from M orthogonal to Mcos(θ). What is the reasoning or the process?

I don't own a copy of Griffiths and you haven't shown the whole problem, so I'm going to make a guess that the magnetization is along the z axis? The component of M normal to the boundary (at r=R) is proportional to cos(theta). You can see this intuitively: at theta=0, M is normal to the boundary so Mnormal=M. At 90 deg, M is tangential to the circle so Mnormal=0.

Dear Student,

Thank you for your question. Based on the given information, it seems that you are working on finding the magnetic field inside a uniformly magnetized sphere using the method of separation of variables. As per the problem statement, Jf=0 everywhere, which implies that the magnetic field is a conservative field and can be expressed as the gradient of a scalar potential, W. The potential satisfies Poisson's equation with ∇⋅M as the source.

To find the field inside the sphere, we can use the fact that the tangential components of the magnetic field are continuous across the boundary, i.e., ##H^\perp_{above} - H^\perp_{below}=-(M^\perp_{above}- M^\perp_{below})##. We can also use the boundary conditions at r=R, which is the radius of the sphere, to determine the expressions for H and M.

In spherical coordinates, the unit vector in the z-direction is given by ##\hat{z}=(sin(θ)cos(φ),sin(θ)sin(φ),cos(θ))##. Therefore, we can express the magnetization vector M as ##M=M\hat{z}=(Msin(θ)cos(φ),Msin(θ)sin(φ),Mcos(θ))##. Using this expression for M, we can determine the tangential components of the magnetic field and compare it with the solution given in example 6.1 in the textbook by Griffiths.

I hope this helps clarify your doubts. If you have any further questions, please feel free to ask.

Best regards,

Related to B Field Inside of Sphere using Sep. Variables

1. What is the "B Field" inside of a sphere?

The "B Field" refers to the magnetic field inside of a sphere, which is a measure of the magnetic force exerted on a charged particle within the sphere.

2. What do you mean by "Sep. Variables"?

"Sep. Variables" refers to separating the variables in a mathematical equation to analyze the magnetic field inside a sphere. This allows us to isolate the effects of each variable on the magnetic field.

3. How is the "B Field" inside a sphere calculated using "Sep. Variables"?

The "B Field" inside a sphere is calculated using the equation B = (μ0mr^2/6a^3)sinθ, where μ0 is the permeability of free space, m is the magnetic moment, r is the distance from the center of the sphere, a is the radius of the sphere, and θ is the angle between the magnetic moment and the radial distance.

4. Why is it important to use "Sep. Variables" when calculating the "B Field" inside a sphere?

Using "Sep. Variables" allows us to better understand the factors that affect the magnetic field inside a sphere. It also helps us to make more accurate predictions and calculations.

5. Can the "B Field" inside a sphere be affected by external factors?

Yes, the "B Field" inside a sphere can be affected by external factors such as the presence of other magnetic fields or changes in the material of the sphere. This is why it is important to use "Sep. Variables" to isolate and analyze the effects of each factor.