Bachelor of Engineering (Computer) to PhD (Physics)

In summary, an individual with a Bachelor of Engineering and 4 years of work experience in the software and hardware industry is applying for a PhD in Physics for fall 2012. They have high scores in the subject GRE, general GRE (Quant), and TOEFL iBT, but no educational or research background in physics. They are seeking suggestions for universities to apply to and have applied to around 15 already. The decision for admission ultimately lies with the individual committees and research areas should be considered when choosing schools.
arpit2agrawal
Hello All

I have done Bachelor of Engineering (Computer) and has 4 years of work-ex in software and hardware industry. I am applying for PhD (Physics) for fall 2012 for Theoretical Physics (High energy / Particle / Nuclear / Quantum physics) My scores:

Subject GRE (Physics): 940/990
General GRE (Quant): 800/800
General GRE (Verbal): 340/800
General GRE (AWM): 3.0/6.0
TOEFL iBT: 105/120
IELTS: 8.0/9.0

I have no physics educational/research background.

Could you please suggest me university I can get admit from?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's up to the individual committees to decide if you get in or not. Posting your standardized test scores is pointless, as that is only a small part in the admissions decision.

There's a couple of people in my department that I know have come from engineering backgrounds but they took some physics courses while completing their degrees. From what they tell me it was about equivalent to a minor. A good way to start looking for schools is by their research areas. If you know the area that interests you, then google away and see what schools have groups doing that.

Very impressive scores by the way.

Thank you SophusLies. I am applying to around 15 universities. Let's see from where I get admit from.

Congratulations on your impressive academic achievements and work experience in the field of computer engineering. Your transition to a PhD program in physics is certainly a bold and exciting move. I can appreciate your curiosity and passion for exploring other areas of science.

Based on your scores, it seems like you have a strong foundation in mathematics and quantitative reasoning, which are essential skills for pursuing a PhD in physics. However, since you do not have a background in physics, it may be challenging to get admitted to top-tier universities. I would suggest researching and applying to universities that have a strong interdisciplinary program in theoretical physics, where your background in computer engineering could be an asset.

Some universities that come to mind are MIT, Stanford, and Caltech, which have a strong reputation in both computer engineering and physics. Additionally, you may want to consider universities that have a strong focus on research in quantum computing and information, such as the University of Waterloo in Canada.

In addition to your academic achievements, it would also be beneficial to highlight any relevant research projects or publications in physics that you have worked on during your undergraduate studies or work experience. This will demonstrate your interest and potential in the field.

Overall, I would recommend researching and applying to a diverse range of universities that align with your interests and strengths. Don't be discouraged if you don't get admitted to your top choices, as there are many great universities that offer excellent programs in theoretical physics. Best of luck in your academic journey!

Related to Bachelor of Engineering (Computer) to PhD (Physics)

1. What is the difference between a Bachelor of Engineering (Computer) and a PhD in Physics?

A Bachelor of Engineering (Computer) degree focuses on the application of computer science principles and techniques to the design, development, and maintenance of software and hardware systems. A PhD in Physics, on the other hand, is a research-focused degree that delves deeper into the fundamental laws and theories of physics.

2. Can I pursue a PhD in Physics with a Bachelor of Engineering (Computer) degree?

Yes, it is possible to pursue a PhD in Physics with a Bachelor of Engineering (Computer) degree. However, you may need to take additional courses to fill any gaps in your knowledge of physics and to meet the admission requirements of the PhD program.

3. What career opportunities are available for someone with a Bachelor of Engineering (Computer) and a PhD in Physics?

Combining a technical background in computer engineering with advanced knowledge in physics opens up a wide range of career opportunities in fields such as research and development, data science, artificial intelligence, and technology consulting.

4. How long does it typically take to complete a Bachelor of Engineering (Computer) to PhD (Physics) program?

The duration of a Bachelor of Engineering (Computer) to PhD (Physics) program varies depending on the university and the student's course load. On average, it can take between 5-7 years to complete both degrees.

5. What skills do I need to succeed in a Bachelor of Engineering (Computer) to PhD (Physics) program?

To succeed in this program, you will need a strong foundation in mathematics, computer science, and physics. You will also need to have excellent critical thinking, problem-solving, and research skills. Additionally, good time management and communication skills are essential for managing the workload and collaborating with others in the research process.