Bad at maths but good at experimental physics ?

In summary, the conversation discusses the role of math in experimental physics, with some participants arguing that it is essential while others believe it is not necessary. Edison is mentioned as an example of a famous experimentalist who did not have a strong grasp on math, while other figures such as J.J. Thomson and Milton Humason are also mentioned. The conversation also brings up the role of citizen science in experimental physics, as well as the usefulness of math in different fields of study.

If someone is bad at maths, then can that person be good at experimental physics?

• Yes. Experimental physics isn't too heavy on mathematical stuff.

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • No. Because Physics is Math's boyfriend (or girlfriend, whichever you want to look at it).

Votes: 3 50.0%

• Total voters
JWHooper
I want to see some results.

Physics news on Phys.org
This is getting to be highly annoying. Is there a useful purpose of this thread?

Zz.

Faraday -- end of thread.

We cannot go backwards in time. The requirements to be a experimental physicist have changed a bit in the last 200yrs. Since we live NOW and not 200yrs ago we must gauge the level of math required by TODAYS needs. Experimentalists need math.

ZapperZ said:
This is getting to be highly annoying. Is there a useful purpose of this thread?

Zz.

Yes. Are these poll options even serious? Physics boyfriend? What kind of BS is this?...

Don't even lock it. Just delete it to nullspace.

Last edited:
Edison?

"Upton, who joined the laboratory force in December 1878, provided the mathematical and theoretical expertise that Edison himself lacked. (Edison later revealed, "At the time I experimented on the incandescent lamp I did not understand Ohm's law.""

"I do not depend on figures at all. I try an experiment and reason out the result, somehow, by methods which I could not explain.")

Of course we need to ask was Edison doing physics or "just" inventing? I would argue siome work was experimental physics. e.g., one of the accidental discoveries made in the Menlo Park laboratory during the development of the incandescent light anticipated the British physicist J.J. Thomson's discovery of the electron 15 years later.
-----

What about Hubble's assistant Milton Humason?

What about the astronomers who found/find variable stars through inspecting photographs?

What about the citizen science project at Oxford for determining galaxy types? That's definitely experimental, and you can do that (now!) without using any mathematics. Some very strange objects have already been pointed out by observant citizens, so this might become an important project:

http://www.galaxyzoo.org/

OK some of this work is pretty menial, but so's much of the number/algebra crunching :-)

Edison was a hack. You want a good experimentalist you look at Tesla, and he said math is important to his work.

That said, how much math do you need? I've only done enough to understand the physics I'm learning. If I have to choose between math and a physics class, I take physics. If I have to choose between math and an EE or Comp Sci class, I take the latter, too, because those will be more useful for an experimentalist.

That being said, knowing extra math won't hurt, either.

Related to Bad at maths but good at experimental physics ?

1. Can someone be good at experimental physics without being good at math?

Yes, it is possible to excel in experimental physics without being great at math. While mathematics is an important tool in understanding and analyzing experimental data, it is not the only skill required for success in this field.

2. How important is math in experimental physics?

Math is an essential component of experimental physics. It helps scientists to formulate hypotheses, design experiments, and analyze data. A strong foundation in math can greatly aid in understanding complex physical phenomena.

3. What are some strategies for improving math skills in experimental physics?

One strategy is to practice regularly and seek help from tutors or peers when needed. It can also be helpful to relate math concepts to real-world examples in experimental physics. Additionally, using software tools and calculators can aid in solving complex equations.

4. Are there any famous scientists who were bad at math but excelled in experimental physics?

Yes, there have been several famous scientists who struggled with math but made significant contributions to experimental physics. One example is Marie Curie, who faced challenges in mathematics but went on to become one of the most influential physicists in history.

5. Can a person with dyscalculia be successful in experimental physics?

Yes, individuals with dyscalculia, a learning disorder affecting math abilities, can still excel in experimental physics. With accommodations and support, they can develop alternative methods for solving equations and still make valuable contributions to the field.