Bad method for finding potential function for exact ODE

In summary, the conversation discusses a physics forum thread where a student posted a test question that the instructor marked them off for, but the student argued they were right. The discussion in the thread sided with the student, claiming that the teacher had used a common, yet not well-defined method to solve an exact differential equation which caused problems in their solution. The student had used a well-defined method and came up with the correct solution. The conversation then moves on to the speaker's concerns about the method they were taught in class and whether it is the well-defined one or the one that can cause problems. The speaker then provides an example and explains their method for finding a potential function in an exact ODE. They conclude that their method is correct,
dumbQuestion
I'm sorry this is going to sound kind of confusing and vague at first but stick with me! I remember a physicsforum thread from long back in which a student posted a test they'd been given back where the instructor marked them off and they argued they were right. The test question was to solve an exact differential equation, and the discussion in the thread seemed to side with the student, claiming that apparently the teacher had found the potential function using a common, albeit not well defined method and it ended up causing a problem in his/her solution. The student on the other hand had solved it using the well defined method and come up with the right solution. I have been worried ever since then because this method, which works most of the time, apparently can given problems in some case, and it's the method I was taught in my class. But now I can't remember now which method it is and I can't find the old thread! I'm not looking for a link to an old thread, I just want someone to tell me if my "method" is the well defined one, or the one that will give problems some times. When I find an ODE of the form Mdx+Ndy=0 is exact, I know this because My = Nx and there exists a potential function F such that the total diferential of F is Mdx+Ndy. I always start out by integrating ∫Mdx so I know F = ∫Mdx + h(y)

Then I take the partial of F with respect to y, noting that this should equal N itself, so I can figure out h'(y), then integrate and get h(y) and thus F.

Here's an example:

Take the ODE: (2xy-3x2)dx + (x2-2y)dy = 0

Let M=(2xy-3x2), N=(x2-2y)

My=2x = Nx => this is an exact ODE and there exists potential function F such that its total differential equals Mdx+NdyTo find the potential function I start arbitrarily with M

∫Mdx = x2y-x3+g(y)

=> F = x2y-x3+g(y)

=> Fy=x2+g'(y)

But this should equal N so we can determine that g'(y)=-2y => g(y) = -y2 + CSo now we can plug this all back together and get

F = x2y-x3 -y2 + CNow in this case, I got the right solution. But is this method well defined? I just don't want to be relying on a method that will give me errors on certain problems.

Physics news on Phys.org
That method is perfectly correct.

Related to Bad method for finding potential function for exact ODE

1. What is a potential function for an exact ODE?

A potential function for an exact ODE (ordinary differential equation) is a function that satisfies the condition that its partial derivatives with respect to the variables involved in the equation are equal to the coefficients of those variables in the equation. This allows us to solve the ODE using a simpler and more efficient method.

2. Why is using a bad method for finding a potential function for an exact ODE problematic?

Using a bad method for finding a potential function for an exact ODE can lead to incorrect solutions or make the problem more difficult to solve. It can also result in a longer and more complicated process, making it less efficient and potentially leading to errors.

3. What are some examples of bad methods for finding a potential function for an exact ODE?

Some examples of bad methods for finding a potential function for an exact ODE include guessing or randomly selecting a function, using a function that does not satisfy the condition for a potential function, or using a method that does not consider the structure of the ODE.

4. How can a good method for finding a potential function for an exact ODE be identified?

A good method for finding a potential function for an exact ODE should follow a systematic and logical approach, taking into account the structure of the ODE and using techniques such as integrating factors or the method of undetermined coefficients. It should also result in a potential function that satisfies the necessary condition for an exact ODE.

5. Are there any tips for finding a potential function for an exact ODE?

Some tips for finding a potential function for an exact ODE include examining the structure of the ODE, looking for patterns or symmetries, and using techniques such as integrating factors or the method of undetermined coefficients. It is also important to carefully check the potential function to ensure that it satisfies the necessary condition for an exact ODE.