Balancing equation in basic solution

In summary, the equation shows that when alkaline solution of hypochlorite ions reacts with solid chromium(3)hydroxide, it produces aqueous chromate ions and chloride ions, with the final balanced equation being 3ClO + 2Cr(OH)3 + 9OH = 3Cl + 2CrO4 + 4H2O. The discrepancy between the book's answer and the original equation was due to an error in adding instead of subtracting the equations.
vaazu
[SOLVED] balancing equation in basic solution

Homework Statement

The alkaline solution of hypochlorite ions reacts with solid chromium(3)hydroxide to produce aqueous chromate ions and chloride ions. Write the net ionic equation for the reaction.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

bone:
ClO(-)+Cr(OH)3=CrO4(2-)+Cl(-)
ox:
Clo(-)=Cl(-)
ClO(-)=Cl(-)+H2O
ClO(-)+2 H2O=Cl(-)+H2O+2 OH(-)
ClO(-)+H2O+2e(-)=Cl(-)+2OH(-) | *3
red:
Cr(OH)3=CrO4(2-)
Cr(OH)3+3H2O=CrO4(2-) (should be 1 H2O)
Cr(OH)3+3H2O+9OH=CrO4+9H2O
Cr(OH)3+9OH-3e=CrO4+6H2O | *2
after adding them together
3ClO+2Cr(OH)3+12OH=3Cl+2CrO4+9H2O

both my equation and the answer in my book are balanced but the book answer has 4OH and 5 H2O, but mine 12 OH and 9 H2O. What did I wrong or how can I cancel some of the H2O-s and OH-s?

Never mind found the problem..

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Instead of adding the two equations I should have subtracted them. So the final equation should be3ClO+2Cr(OH)3+9OH=3Cl+2CrO4+4H2O

I didn't fully balance the water molecules in the redox reaction. The correct equation should be:
3ClO + 2Cr(OH)3 + 12OH- = 3Cl- + 2CrO4-2 + 9H2O

Related to Balancing equation in basic solution

What is the purpose of balancing equations in basic solution?

The purpose of balancing equations in basic solution is to ensure that the number of atoms of each element is the same on both the reactant and product sides. This is important because it follows the law of conservation of mass, which states that matter cannot be created or destroyed in a chemical reaction.

What are the steps for balancing equations in basic solution?

The steps for balancing equations in basic solution are as follows:
1. Write the unbalanced equation with the correct chemical formulas for all compounds involved.
2. Identify the elements that are not balanced and make a list of them.
3. Balance the elements that appear in only one compound on each side of the equation by adding coefficients.
4. Balance the remaining elements by adding water molecules (H2O) to the side that is deficient in oxygen atoms, and hydroxide ions (OH-) to the side that is deficient in hydrogen atoms.
5. Check that all elements are balanced and adjust coefficients as needed.
6. Finally, balance the charges by adding electrons (e-) to one side of the equation if necessary.

Why is it important to use coefficients rather than changing the subscripts in a chemical equation?

Using coefficients to balance an equation in basic solution is important because changing the subscripts would change the chemical formula of the compound, resulting in a different reaction. Coefficients only affect the number of molecules involved in the reaction, while subscripts change the identity of the compounds.

Can equations be balanced in basic solution without adding water or hydroxide ions?

No, equations cannot be balanced in basic solution without adding water or hydroxide ions. This is because the addition of these species is necessary to balance the number of oxygen and hydrogen atoms on each side of the equation, which is a key step in balancing equations in basic solution.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when balancing equations in basic solution?

Some common mistakes to avoid when balancing equations in basic solution are:
- Not following the correct order of operations (balancing elements in compounds before balancing overall charge)
- Forgetting to check that all elements are balanced after adding coefficients
- Balancing the charges incorrectly by adding or subtracting electrons from both sides of the equation
- Not accounting for the presence of spectator ions, which do not participate in the reaction and should not be included in the balanced equation.