Balancing Equations: Al + H2SO4 to Al3+ + SO42- + SO2 + H2O

• Thread starter mohlam12
  • Start date
In summary, The conversation is about balancing an equation related to the lesson of oxidation-reduction in chemistry class. The equation given is Al + H2SO4 --> Al 3+ + SO4 2- + SO2 + H2O. The problem in the equation is determining the number of oxidation for S, which can either be -8 or -4. To find the coefficient for balancing the reaction, both oxidation numbers (+6 and +4) should be used. The final step is to write a redox half reaction for both and not forget the Al. The person is still unsure of how to solve the problem and is asking for steps to help.
mohlam12
balancin an equation!

hello everybody,
i just got back from my chemistry class, with some homework...
it s about balancin equations (hard ones) and they are relating to the lesson of oxidation-reduction...
here is one of them that i have to balance--
if someone can show me the steps to take, that would be awesome :) because i have like 5 more to do...

Al + H2SO4 --> Al 3+ + SO4 2- + SO2 + H2O

thank you :)

oh yeah, the problem in this equation is that i have SO4 2- and SO2
so to determine the number of oxydation for S
should it be -8 or -4 ==> should i use SO4 -2 or SO2

when i know what to use, i ll see the change of this number, then what ?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
use both [itex] {SO}^{-2}_4 [/itex] and [itex] SO_2 [/itex]
gah sorry i can't get the LaTeX to work ...

Last edited:
hmm
so would i use the oxydation number of -8 or -4

for [itex] {SO}^{-2}_4 [/itex] the oxidation number of sulfur is +6 (O is -2, the total charge is -2, so [itex] -2 \times 4 + S = -2 [/itex] and [itex] S = +6 [/itex]

the oxidation number of S in [itex] SO_2 [/itex] is +4

okay, so when i want to see the change of the number of oxidation S, to find the coefficient for balancin the reaction; would i do:
(+6) - (+6) = 0
or
(+4) - (+6) = -2

??
thanks

yeah, that's right.

ummm... i think i asked for WHICH ONE TO USE!

oh haha sorry. you need to use both of them

so write a redox half reaction for both

dont forget the Al

still don't get how to really do it... if anyone can give me some steps for this one!
thanks

FAQ: Balancing Equations: Al + H2SO4 to Al3+ + SO42- + SO2 + H2O

1. What is the purpose of balancing equations?

The purpose of balancing equations is to ensure that the number of atoms of each element on the reactant side is equal to the number of atoms of that element on the product side. This is necessary because in a chemical reaction, atoms cannot be created or destroyed, they simply rearrange to form new substances.

2. How do you balance equations?

To balance an equation, you need to adjust the coefficients (numbers in front of the chemical formulas) until the number of atoms of each element is equal on both sides. This can be done by using the law of conservation of mass, where the total mass of the reactants must equal the total mass of the products.

3. What are the steps to balance a chemical equation?

The steps to balance a chemical equation are as follows:

1. Write out the unbalanced equation.
  2. Count the number of atoms of each element on both sides of the equation.
  3. Choose an element to start balancing with and use coefficients to balance the number of atoms on each side.
  4. Repeat this process for each element until the equation is balanced.
  5. Check your work by counting the number of atoms on both sides again.

4. Why is it important to balance equations?

It is important to balance equations because it follows the law of conservation of mass, which states that matter cannot be created or destroyed in a chemical reaction. Balancing equations also ensures that the reactants and products are in the correct proportions, allowing for accurate predictions and calculations in experiments.

5. Can chemical equations be balanced differently?

Yes, chemical equations can be balanced differently as long as the number of atoms of each element is equal on both sides. There may be multiple ways to balance an equation, but they will all result in the same overall chemical reaction taking place.