Balancing Equations: Carbon Disulfide and Ammonia Reaction

In summary, balancing a chemical equation involves ensuring that the number of atoms of each element on the reactant side is equal to the number of atoms on the product side. The steps for balancing an equation are: writing out the unbalanced equation, counting the number of atoms of each element, adding coefficients to balance the atoms, and double-checking. An example of balancing an equation is H2 + O2 → H2O, which becomes 2H2 + O2 → 2H2O after balancing. When there are polyatomic ions in the equation, they should be treated as one unit. Balancing equations is important because it follows the law of conservation of mass and helps accurately represent the chemical reaction and determine substance quantities.
lakersfan
I can't seem to figure out a problem for my a/p chemistry summer assignment review. If you could help me that would be great.

The problem is: Carbon disulfide liquid reacts with ammonia gas to produce hydrogen sulfide gas and solid ammonium thiocuanate.

This is what my answer was but it is wrong and unbalanced.
C2S + NH3 = H2S + NH4NCS

Physics news on Phys.org
Carbon disulfide, sounds as CS2, not C2S...

Last edited:
thank you

Related to Balancing Equations: Carbon Disulfide and Ammonia Reaction

1. How do I balance a chemical equation?

To balance a chemical equation, you need to ensure that the number of atoms of each element on the reactant side is equal to the number of atoms on the product side. This can be achieved by adding coefficients (numbers in front of a molecule) to each molecule until the number of atoms is equal on both sides.

2. What are the steps for balancing an equation?

The steps for balancing an equation are:

1. Write out the unbalanced equation.
  2. Count the number of atoms of each element on both sides.
  3. Add coefficients to balance the atoms of one element at a time.
  4. Double-check that the number of atoms is the same on both sides.

3. Can you give an example of balancing an equation?

Sure, let's balance the equation: H2 + O2 → H2O

1. Unbalanced equation: H2 + O2 → H2O
  2. Counting atoms: 2 hydrogen atoms and 2 oxygen atoms on the reactant side, 2 hydrogen atoms and 1 oxygen atom on the product side.
  3. Adding coefficients: 2H2 + O2 → 2H2O
  4. Double-checking: 4 hydrogen atoms and 2 oxygen atoms on both sides.

4. What if there are polyatomic ions in the equation?

The same steps for balancing an equation apply, but remember to treat the polyatomic ion as one unit. For example, in the equation Mg + HCl → MgCl2 + H2O, the polyatomic ion OH should be treated as one unit, giving the balanced equation Mg + 2HCl → MgCl2 + H2O.

5. Why is it important to balance equations?

Balancing equations is important because it follows the law of conservation of mass. This means that the total mass of the reactants must equal the total mass of the products. Balancing equations also helps to accurately represent the chemical reaction and determine the quantities of each substance involved.