Balaning metre-stick - Find the mass

• Thread starter NMW
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mass
In summary, a meter stick with a center of gravity at the 49.7cm mark is balanced at that point when placed on a fulcrum. When a 50g mass is attached at the 10cm mark, the fulcrum must be moved to the 39.2cm mark for balance. The mass of the meter stick can be found by using the equilibrium condition m_1gd_1 = m_2gd_2, where m_1 = 50g and g = 9.8m/s^2.
NMW
3) a metre-stick is found to balance at the 49.7cm mark when placed on a fulcrum, when a 50g mass is attached at the 10cm mark the fulcrum must be moved to the 39.2 cm mark for balance. what is the mass of the meter stick?

- just plain stuck on this, tried about 3 different ways of attempting the question, but couldn't find one that suited! anyone got any ideas on how to start it?? again, any help appreciated!

:)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The center of gravity of the stick is at 29.7cm mark, its mass to be considerd at this point, but the rest part is not appearing correct. It will not get balanced in second situation. Check the numerical values given.

Last edited:
mukundpa said:
The center of gravity of the stick is at 29.7cm mark, its mass to be considerd at this point, but the rest part is not appearing correct. It will not get balanced in second situation. Check the numerical values given.

yes sorry, you're right... it was meant to read 49.7cm, which i have now changed! sorry! i have still been trying to do it, found a number of various formulas and ways to go about it on the net, but none are helping me to find the mass of the stick, rather the masses of the objects joined to the stick...

Consider the meter stick as a point mass at the 49.7cm mark. Then on the left you have the 50g point mass at a distance d1 = (39.2 - 10)cm from the pivot and on the right you have the c.m. of the stick at a distance d2 = (49.7 - 39.2)cm from the pivot.
So just use the equilibrium condition [tex]m_1gd_1 = m_2gd_2[/tex]

Related to Balaning metre-stick - Find the mass

1. How do I find the mass of a balancing meter stick?

The mass of a balancing meter stick can be found by using the formula M = Lg / 2, where M is the mass, L is the length of the stick, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

2. What is the best method for balancing a meter stick?

The best method for balancing a meter stick is to use a fulcrum or pivot point, and adjust the position of the meter stick until it is level and balanced.

3. Can I use any type of meter stick to find the mass?

Yes, any type of meter stick can be used as long as it is a uniform object with a known length and can be balanced on a pivot point.

4. Is it necessary to account for the weight of the meter stick when finding the mass?

Yes, the weight of the meter stick must be accounted for in order to accurately find the mass. This can be done by subtracting the weight of the meter stick from the total weight of the balanced system.

5. What units are typically used for mass when using a balancing meter stick?

The most common units used for mass when using a balancing meter stick are grams or kilograms. However, any unit of mass can be used as long as it is consistent throughout the calculation.