Ball thrown a distance at an angle, looking for maximum height.

In summary, the conversation discusses two problems involving the maximum height of a golf ball and a football when launched at a certain angle and initial speed. The equations used to solve these problems are Vi = SQRT(x(a) / sin(2*THETA)), Vy = (Vi)sin(THETA), t = -Vi / -a, and y = (Vi)sin(THETA)(t) - (1/2)at^2. The correct answer for the first problem is 35.15m, which is found using these equations. However, the teacher's answer of 70.3m is incorrect.
chaospoodle

Homework Statement

"A golfer can hit a golf ball a horizontal distance of over 300m on a good drive. What maximum height will a 301.5m drive reach if it is launched at an angle of 25 degrees to the ground?

Here's a second problem I got right:
"A quarterback throws the football to a stationary receiver who is 31.5m down the field. If the football is thrown at an angle of 40 degrees to the ground, at what initial speed must the quarterback throw the ball to reach the receiver down field? What is the ball's highest point during its flight?"

Homework Equations

Vi = SQRT(x(a) / sin(2*THETA))
Vy = (Vi)sin(THETA)
t = -Vi / -a
y = (Vi)sin(THETA)(t) - (1/2)at^2

a = 9.8m/s
Vi = velocity initial
Vy = velocity of Y compenent

The Attempt at a Solution

I started with Vi = SQRT(301.5m(9.8m/s) / sin(50 degrees)
which came out to be 62.11m/s, I then did Vy = (62.11m/s)sin(25 degrees)
which came out to be 26.25m/s. I then found time with the formula I posted and got 2.68s.
Then I did y = (62.11m/s)sin(25 degrees)(2.68s) - (1/2)9.8m/s(2.68s)^2
and got 35.15m. My teacher said the answer was 70.3m, which is exactly double my answer.

I was wondering why this was wrong, when I used these same equations in the second problem and got the correct answers. Both asked for the highest point of the balls during their flight. Also, both problems only gave me a distance and an angle, I assumed that would allow me to use the same equations, just plug in the different numbers.
Is my teacher wrong, or what am I doing in problem 1 wrong? Sorry if this isn't typed up correctly or too long, I was just really curious.

70.3m for the maximum height of a golf ball hit at that angle doesn't even seem right to me if we're looking at this problem literally. I'm probably wrong though.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
chaospoodle said:

The Attempt at a Solution

I started with Vi = SQRT(301.5m(9.8m/s) / sin(50 degrees)
which came out to be 62.11m/s, I then did Vy = (62.11m/s)sin(25 degrees)
which came out to be 26.25m/s. I then found time with the formula I posted and got 2.68s.
Then I did y = (62.11m/s)sin(25 degrees)(2.68s) - (1/2)9.8m/s(2.68s)^2
and got 35.15m. My teacher said the answer was 70.3m, which is exactly double my answer.

Your answer and your method is correct.

You can verify this. The kinetic energy is the sum of the kinetic energies in the x and y directions. Energy in the x direction does not change so the potential energy at maximum height when vy =0 has to equal the initial vertical kinetic energy.

[tex]mgh = \frac{1}{2}mv_{yi}^2[/tex]

so:

h = v_y^2/2g = 26.25^2/2*9.8 = 35.15mAM

Hm, okay thanks. Going to have to explain this to my teacher now lol. He took forever thinking about the problem and coming up with a formula different from mine and didn't even really look at or think about the work I showed him.

Related to Ball thrown a distance at an angle, looking for maximum height.

1. How is maximum height calculated for a ball thrown at an angle?

The maximum height of a ball thrown at an angle can be calculated using the formula: (v^2 * sin^2(theta)) / 2g, where v is the initial velocity of the ball, theta is the angle at which it is thrown, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

2. How does the angle of projection affect the maximum height of a thrown ball?

The angle of projection directly affects the maximum height of a thrown ball. The higher the angle, the higher the maximum height will be. However, if the angle is too high (close to 90 degrees), the ball will not travel far horizontally and will have a shorter total distance.

3. What is the ideal angle for achieving maximum height when throwing a ball?

The ideal angle for achieving maximum height when throwing a ball is 45 degrees. This angle allows for the maximum distance and maximum height to be achieved simultaneously.

4. How does air resistance affect the maximum height of a thrown ball?

Air resistance can affect the maximum height of a thrown ball by decreasing it. As the ball travels through the air, it experiences air resistance which decreases its speed and therefore reduces its maximum height.

5. Is the maximum height of a thrown ball affected by the mass of the ball?

Yes, the maximum height of a thrown ball is affected by the mass of the ball. A heavier ball will not be able to achieve the same maximum height as a lighter ball, assuming both are thrown with the same initial velocity and angle.