Ballentine Problem 8.5 (angular momentum)

EE18
Homework Statement
Ballentine asks us "Show that the three-dimensional single particle state functions ##\Psi_{m}(\mathbf{x}):= f(r)Y_l^{m}(\theta,\phi)## and ##\Psi_{-m}(\mathbf{x})## have the same position and momentum distributions."
Relevant Equations
See below.
I am struggling with the latter, and think that I somehow need to assume ##f## is real-valued to proceed?

My work:
The position distributions are equal since
$$P_{-m}(\mathbf{x}) = |\Psi_{-m}(\mathbf{x})|^2 = |f(r)Y_l^{-m}(\theta,\phi)|^2 = |f(r)(-1)^m(Y_l^{m})^*|^2 = P_m(\mathbf{x})$$
if we recall that the magnitude of a complex conjugate is equal to the original complex number.

The momentum distributions are equal since (using (5.4) and inserting position space completeness twice)
$$P_{-m}(\mathbf{x}) = |\braket{\mathbf{p}}{\Psi_{-m}}|^2 \equiv \braket{\mathbf{p}}{\Psi_{-m}}\braket{\Psi_{-m}}{\mathbf{p}} =\frac{1}{(2\pi\hbar)^3}\int d\mathbf{x} e^{-i\mathbf{p}\cdot\mathbf{x}}f(r)Y_l^{-m}(\theta,\phi)\int d\mathbf{x}' e^{i\mathbf{p}\cdot\mathbf{x}'}f^*(r')(Y_l^{-m})^*(\theta',\phi')$$
$$ \stackrel{(1)}{=} \frac{1}{(2\pi\hbar)^3}\int d\mathbf{x} e^{-i\mathbf{p}\cdot\mathbf{x}}f(r)(-1)^m(Y_l^{m})^*(\theta,\phi)\int d\mathbf{x}' e^{i\mathbf{p}\cdot\mathbf{x}'}f^*(r')(-1)^mY_l^{m}(\theta',\phi')$$
where in (1) we have used (7.37) and its complex conjugate and that ##(-1)^{2m} = 1##.

...But I can't go any further.

The referenced equations in my work are standard equations like the position representation of the momentum eigenstates. In particular, I think that I need to have that ##f## is real so that, after my last step, I can change variables in each integration to minus the given variable and so show the last equality. But I can't do that without being sure ##f## is real!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I observe say f(r) is real
[tex]\Phi_{-m}(\mathbf{p}) :=\frac{1}{(2\pi\hbar)^3}\int d\mathbf{x} e^{-i\mathbf{p}\cdot\mathbf{x}}f(r)Y_l^{-m}(\theta,\phi)=\frac{(-1)^m}{(2\pi\hbar)^3}\int d\mathbf{x} e^{-i\mathbf{p}\cdot\mathbf{x}}f(r)Y_l^{m}(\theta,\phi)^*=(-1)^m\Phi^*_{m}(\mathbf{-p})[/tex]
[tex]|\Phi_{-m}(\mathbf{p})|^2=|\Phi_{m}(\mathbf{-p})|^2[/tex]
Is it helpful ?

Related to Ballentine Problem 8.5 (angular momentum)

What is the main objective of Ballentine Problem 8.5?

The main objective of Ballentine Problem 8.5 is to analyze and solve problems related to the angular momentum in quantum mechanics. This typically involves calculating the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of angular momentum operators and understanding their physical implications.

How do you approach solving the eigenvalue problem for angular momentum operators in this context?

To solve the eigenvalue problem for angular momentum operators, you start by writing down the angular momentum operator in the chosen basis (often the spherical harmonics basis). Then, you solve the characteristic equation to find the eigenvalues and use these to determine the corresponding eigenvectors.

What are the common mistakes to avoid when working on angular momentum problems?

Common mistakes include not properly normalizing eigenfunctions, neglecting the commutation relations between different components of angular momentum, and misapplying the ladder operator technique. Careful attention to the mathematical properties of the angular momentum operators is crucial.

How does the ladder operator technique help in solving angular momentum problems?

The ladder operator technique simplifies the process of finding eigenstates of angular momentum. By using the raising and lowering operators, you can generate all the eigenstates from a known highest or lowest state, making the problem more manageable.

What physical insights can be gained from solving Problem 8.5 in Ballentine?

Solving Problem 8.5 provides a deeper understanding of the quantization of angular momentum in quantum mechanics. It illustrates how angular momentum is quantized in discrete units and how these quantized values relate to physical observables, such as the orientation and magnitude of angular momentum in a quantum system.