Ballentine's book: 1st or 2nd edition?

In summary, the first edition is better for the subject you will be researching, but the second edition has an extra chapter on quantum information.
maNoFchangE
I'm planning to get a copy of Quantum Mechanics - Modern Development by L. E. Ballentine. However I am uncertain between the first and second editions. The first edition is cheaper. I will be using it for my PhD research with the topic of atomic physics. Will the second edition give me additional advantage in the subject I will be researching on which is not found in the first?

Physics news on Phys.org
Afaict, the 2nd edition just has an extra chapter about quantum information. I'd cough up the extra money -- you can never have too many textbooks. :oldwink:

(I bought one of the first copies of the 2nd edition, and the print quality was disappointingly poor. So I still use my 1st edition for everything except the quantum information material.)

Likes vanhees71 and maNoFchangE
Thank you for your reply.
Can you give examples by poor print quality, is it like it has many typos in text and equations?
From what I infer, you are saying that the first's print quality is better than the second?

Not typos -- more like not enough ink was used, so many letters were are a bit difficult to read. Possibly, I should have returned it to Amazon and complained, but it wasn't quite bad enough to make me do that. After all, I was able to read the quantum information chapter.

Note that this is some time ago. Newer printings might be ok.

strangerep said:
Not typos -- more like not enough ink was used, so many letters were are a bit difficult to read. Possibly, I should have returned it to Amazon and complained, but it wasn't quite bad enough to make me do that. After all, I was able to read the quantum information chapter.

Note that this is some time ago. Newer printings might be ok.
That's good to know.
Quantum information does not seem to be needed at least in the immediate future of my carrier, so I think I can forgo the second edition and purchase the first.

Related to Ballentine's book: 1st or 2nd edition?

1. What is the difference between the 1st and 2nd edition of Ballentine's book?

The main difference between the 1st and 2nd edition of Ballentine's book is that the 2nd edition includes updated information and research findings. It may also have additional chapters or sections that were not included in the 1st edition.

2. Which edition of Ballentine's book is considered more authoritative?

Both editions of Ballentine's book are considered authoritative in their respective time periods. However, the 2nd edition may be more relevant and up-to-date with current research and theories.

3. Are there any major changes to the content in the 2nd edition compared to the 1st edition?

There may be some changes in the content of the 2nd edition compared to the 1st edition. This can include updated information, revised theories, and additional chapters or sections.

4. Is it necessary to have both editions of Ballentine's book?

It is not necessary to have both editions of Ballentine's book. If you are looking for the most current and updated information, then the 2nd edition would be the better choice. However, if you are interested in comparing the evolution of theories and ideas, having both editions may be beneficial.

5. Can I still use the 1st edition of Ballentine's book for research purposes?

While the 2nd edition may be more up-to-date, the 1st edition of Ballentine's book can still be used for research purposes. However, it is important to consider the publication date and whether the information may have been updated or revised in the 2nd edition.