Ballistic Cylinder: Angular Velocity After Bullet Impact

In summary, the problem involves a 13.0 g bullet being fired into a solid cylinder of mass 24.1 kg and a radius of 0.11 m. The line of motion of the bullet is perpendicular to the axle and at a distance of 2.20 cm from the center. Using the conservation of angular momentum, the angular velocity of the system after the bullet adheres to the surface of the cylinder is found to be approximately 1.13 rad/s.
lew44

Homework Statement

A 13.0 g bullet is fired at 578.1 m/s into a solid cylinder of mass 24.1 kg and a radius 0.11 m. The cylinder is initially at rest and is mounted on fixed vertical axis that runs through it's center of mass.
The line of motion of the bullet is perpendicular to the axle and at a distance 2.20 cm from the center. Find the angular velocity of the system after the bullet strikes and adheres to the surface of the cylinder.

Homework Equations

conservation of angular momentum

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried,

.013 x (.022^2) (578.1/.11) = ((.013)(.022^2) + (.5)(24.1)(.11^2)) x W

I got .227rad/s as an answer but that was incorrect. Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you think of the bullet as an impulsive force on the cylinder you should be able to figure out how much of that force is radial to the cylinder (which is absorbed by the bearing) and how much is tangential (which will make the cylinder rotate). If I do the calculation I end up with a angular speed of around 1.13 rad/s.

The right-hand side of your equation looks ok to me, but I'm not sure I understand how you arrived at the left-hand side of your equation. I get something similar but not quite the same. Perhaps you missed taking only the tangential part of the impulse.

Related to Ballistic Cylinder: Angular Velocity After Bullet Impact

1. What is a ballistic cylinder?

A ballistic cylinder is a type of cylindrical object that is used in ballistic testing to simulate the effects of projectiles or bullets on various materials.

2. How is angular velocity affected after a bullet impact?

The angular velocity of a ballistic cylinder is affected by several factors after a bullet impact, including the initial velocity and mass of the bullet, the material and geometry of the cylinder, and the angle at which the bullet hits the cylinder. In general, the angular velocity of the cylinder will increase after a bullet impact, but the exact change will depend on the specific factors involved.

3. What are the applications of studying the angular velocity of a ballistic cylinder after a bullet impact?

The study of angular velocity in ballistic cylinders has several important applications, including improving the design and effectiveness of body armor and other protective materials, understanding the mechanics of bullet penetration, and developing new materials and techniques for mitigating the effects of bullet impacts.

4. How is the angular velocity of a ballistic cylinder measured?

The angular velocity of a ballistic cylinder can be measured using various methods, including high-speed cameras, accelerometers, and strain gauges. These tools allow researchers to track the movement and deformation of the cylinder after a bullet impact and calculate its angular velocity.

5. What are the limitations of studying the angular velocity of a ballistic cylinder after a bullet impact?

While studying the angular velocity of ballistic cylinders can provide valuable insights and data, there are some limitations to consider. These include the difficulty of accurately simulating real-world scenarios, the complexity of the mechanics involved, and the potential for variability and inconsistency in test results.

Back