Balmer series for atomic hydrogen lie

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the Rydberg constant and minimum ionization energy for atomic hydrogen using the equations 1/lambda = R (1/4 - 1/n^2) and E=hc/lambda=hcR(1/4-1/n^2). The ionization limit corresponds to n → ∞ for the final state of the electron. The value of n for the Balmer series starts at 3 because it is the name given to spectral line emissions of the hydrogen atom. A photon is absorbed when the electron goes from n=1 to n=2.
xregina12

Homework Statement

The first few lines of the Balmer series for atomic hydrogen lie at the wavelengths λ = 656.46, 486.27, 434.17, 410.29nm, ... Find a value for RH, the Rydberg constant for hydrogen. The ionization energy I is the minimum energy required to remove the electron. Find it from the data. How is I related to RH? (Hint: the ionization limit corresponds to n → ∞ for the final state of the electron).

I used the equation: 1/lambda = R (1/4 - 1/n^2) where R is Rydberg constant and n=3, 4, 5 respectively and got that R=1.097 x 10 ^7. However, I am not sure what to do to find the minimum ionization energy. The only equation I thought I can use is E=hc/lambda=hcR(1/4-1/n^2). For Also I know that since it's the minimum energy required to remove the electron, I should use the longest wavelength given to figure out the ionization energy. Can someone please explain to me the second part of the problem to me? Also, why does n for the Balmer series start at 3? Please help me. Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
xregina12 said:

Homework Statement

However, I am not sure what to do to find the minimum ionization energy. The only equation I thought I can use is E=hc/lambda=hcR(1/4-1/n^2).
Look at the hint.
Also, why does n for the Balmer series start at 3? Please help me. Thank you!

Because Balmer lines is the name given to spectral line *emissions* of the hydrogen atom. For electron going from n=1 to n=2, a photon is absorbed, not emitted.

Related to Balmer series for atomic hydrogen lie

1. What is the Balmer series for atomic hydrogen?

The Balmer series for atomic hydrogen is a set of spectral lines that are emitted when an electron in a hydrogen atom transitions from a higher energy level to the second energy level.

2. What are the wavelengths of the Balmer series lines?

The wavelengths of the Balmer series lines range from approximately 656 nanometers to 364 nanometers, with each line corresponding to a specific electron transition.

3. How is the Balmer series calculated?

The Balmer series can be calculated using the Balmer formula, which is n = 2.25 x 1015 (1/22 - 1/n2), where n is the energy level of the electron.

4. What is the significance of the Balmer series for atomic hydrogen?

The Balmer series played a crucial role in the development of quantum mechanics, as it provided evidence for the existence of discrete energy levels in atoms. It also helped to confirm the Bohr model of the atom.

5. Can the Balmer series be observed in other elements?

Yes, the Balmer series can be observed in other elements, but the wavelengths of the spectral lines will be different due to the difference in the number of protons and electrons. The Balmer series for atomic hydrogen is the most well-known and studied due to its simplicity and importance in understanding atomic structure.