Balmer's Equation: Simpler Calculation of Hydrogen Wavelengths

• Thread starter Gaz
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker found the Balmers constant to be a simpler and more user-friendly alternative to the Rydberg constant. They discovered that by dividing the Balmers constant by 2² and using the formula Wavelength = BN²(n²/(n²-N²)), they were able to easily calculate the wavelengths of hydrogen. They encourage others to test out their method and confirm its effectiveness. They also mention that their method follows directly from Rydberg's formula but is simpler and more straightforward.
Gaz
So the Balmers constant is cool and easy to use compared to the Rydberg constant and I was looking for something simpler and came up with this.

If you change the Balmers constant to B=91.126705 by dividing it by 2² (because 364.50682 is the Balmers series) and use the formula. Wavelength = BN²(n²/(n²-N²)) N being the series N=1 lyman N=2 Balmers etc. Now I can use the Balmers to calculate all the wavelengths of hydrogen with ease and answers in nm.

Any thoughts on this I tested it out and it looks to work great maybe someone else could give it a go and make sure it works thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
It follows directly - by some elementary algebraic manipulation - from Rydbergs formula.

So start from Rydbergs formula and try to rewrite it on your desired form.

I did from Balmers and it works. I did what Rydberg did but in a different way that I think is a lot simpler

Related to Balmer's Equation: Simpler Calculation of Hydrogen Wavelengths

1. What is Balmer's equation?

Balmer's equation is a mathematical formula used to calculate the wavelengths of light emitted by hydrogen atoms. It is named after Swiss physicist Johann Balmer who first proposed the equation in 1885.

2. How is Balmer's equation derived?

Balmer's equation is derived from the Rydberg formula, which describes the relationship between the energy levels of electrons in an atom and the wavelengths of light they emit. Balmer's equation specifically applies to the visible light spectrum of hydrogen atoms.

3. What is the significance of Balmer's equation?

Balmer's equation is significant because it allowed scientists to accurately predict the wavelengths of light emitted by hydrogen atoms without the need for complex calculations. This helped to advance the field of spectroscopy and the study of atomic structure.

4. How is Balmer's equation used in scientific research?

Balmer's equation is used in a variety of scientific research, including astrophysics, chemistry, and quantum mechanics. It allows scientists to identify and study the spectral lines of hydrogen in different environments, such as stars and galaxies, and to better understand the behavior of electrons in atoms.

5. Are there any limitations to Balmer's equation?

While Balmer's equation is a useful tool for calculating the wavelengths of light emitted by hydrogen atoms, it only applies to hydrogen and cannot be used for other elements. Additionally, it does not take into account the effects of external factors such as temperature and pressure, which can influence the wavelengths of light emitted.