Band-limited function, Shannon-Nyquist sampling distance

In summary, the conversation discusses finding a function in ##L^2(\mathbf R)## given two numbers ##\delta## and ##\Omega## satisfying certain criteria. A suggested solution is ##f(t) = \frac{\sin \pi \delta t}{t}##, and it is confirmed that this satisfies the given criteria. The meaning of ##f\ne 0## is clarified to mean that the function is not the zero function.
Incand

Homework Statement

If ##\delta## and ##\Omega## are two numbers with ##0 < \frac{\pi}{\Omega} < \delta## find a function ##f\in L^2(\mathbf R )## such that ##\hat f(\omega)=0## for ##|\omega|> \Omega## and ##f(n\delta) = 0## for ##n \in \mathbf Z##, but ##f\ne 0## as an element of ##L^2(\mathbf R )##. This shows that the Shannon-Nyquist sampling distance ##\Delta t = \frac{\pi}{\omega_{\max}}## is the largest possible.

Homework Equations

Fourier transform
##\frac{\sin ax}{x} \to \pi \mathscr{X}_a(\xi ) =
\begin{cases}
\pi \; \; |\xi | < a \\
0 \; \; |\xi | > a
\end{cases}##

The Attempt at a Solution

I Choose ##f(t) = \frac{\sin \pi \delta t}{t}## which seems to satisfy all the criteria since
##F.T.(\frac{\sin \pi \delta t}{t}) = \pi \mathscr{x}_{\pi /\delta } < \pi \mathscr{x}_{\pi /\Omega }##
Is this what I was supposed to do in the exercise? There's no answer so I'm not sure I proved everything I should. What does it mean that ##f\ne 0## as an element of ##L^2(\mathbf R )##? That it's not the zero-function?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I assume you meant "##\delta## and ##\Omega## are two numbers...". Shouldn't it be ##f(t) \propto \frac{\sin \pi t/\delta}{t}## ? Even still it fails for ##n=0##. But this could still be the answer they want. Yes, ##f\neq 0 ## means it's not the zero function (which is a trivial solution).

Likes Incand
MisterX said:
I assume you meant "##\delta## and ##\Omega## are two numbers...". Shouldn't it be ##f(t) \propto \frac{\sin \pi t/\delta}{t}## ? Even still it fails for ##n=0##. But this could still be the answer they want. Yes, ##f\neq 0 ## means it's not the zero function (which is a trivial solution).
Yes should've been ##\delta##. Your version of ##f(t)## is of cause equally correct (and more general). Since they only ask me to find a solution I didn't bother with the constant. I think I take your post as confirmation that at least I probably got what the question asked for. I guess there may be a solution with ##f(0)=0## or atl where ##\lim_{x\to 0} f(x) =0## but I think they probably meant except that point.
I guess I could also choose some function that is zero past a point say ##|x| > a## and get other solutions than trigonometric functions and have convergence even without a ##t## in the denominator but I feel quite happy as it is!

Related to Band-limited function, Shannon-Nyquist sampling distance

1. What is a band-limited function?

A band-limited function is a mathematical function that has a limited range of frequencies. This means that the function only contains frequencies within a specific range, and has no frequencies outside of that range.

2. What is the Shannon-Nyquist sampling distance?

The Shannon-Nyquist sampling distance, also known as the Nyquist rate, is the minimum sampling rate required to accurately reconstruct a band-limited function. It is defined as twice the highest frequency present in the function. Sampling at a rate lower than the Nyquist rate can result in aliasing, where higher frequencies are incorrectly represented as lower frequencies.

3. Why is the Shannon-Nyquist sampling distance important?

The Shannon-Nyquist sampling distance is important because it ensures that a band-limited function can be accurately reconstructed from its sampled values. Without proper sampling, the original function may be distorted and lose important information.

4. Can the Shannon-Nyquist sampling distance be exceeded?

Yes, the Shannon-Nyquist sampling distance can be exceeded. However, this can result in aliasing, where higher frequencies are incorrectly represented as lower frequencies. To avoid this, it is recommended to sample at a rate equal to or higher than the Nyquist rate.

5. How does the Shannon-Nyquist sampling distance relate to digital signal processing?

The Shannon-Nyquist sampling distance is a fundamental concept in digital signal processing. It ensures that analog signals can be accurately represented and processed in the digital domain. By correctly sampling at or above the Nyquist rate, digital signal processing techniques can be applied to analyze and manipulate signals without introducing errors due to undersampling.