Bandwidth requirements if the modulation is BFSK?

In summary, the bandwidth requirements for a binary signal filtered with r = 1 and modulated onto a carrier at 9600 bps using BFSK with f1 = 100kHz and f2 = 120kHz is 59200Hz. To choose two new frequencies with minimum frequency separation, the equation 2fd = 1/T can be used with T = 1/400kHz, resulting in fd = 400kHz, f2 = 600kHz, and f1 = 200kHz.
Tjvelcro

Homework Statement

A binary signal is filtered with r = 1 and then modulated onto a carrier for transmission at
9600 bps.
a) What is the bandwidth requirements if the modulation is BFSK with f1 = 100kHz and f2 = 120kHz?
(Note: FSK bandwidth is B = 2fd + (1+r)R )

b) Using the same centre frequency as in b), choose two new frequencies with minimum
frequency separation

Homework Equations

a) I think I have to use the equation they give in the note... B = 2fd + (1+r)R
b) I found the following equation in my book... 2fd = 1/T

The Attempt at a Solution

r = 1 R = 9600bps B = ? fd = 20000Hz (not sure if this is correct, I just took the differenceof the 2 frequencies given.
B = 2*fd + (1+r) R = 2*20000 + (1+1) 9600 = 59200Hz

b) Not sure how to use the equation 2fd = 1/T with what I'm given.

Tjvelcro

Physics news on Phys.org
we:a) B = 2*(f2-f1) + (1+r)*R = 2*(120kHz-100kHz) + (1+1)*9600bps = 59200Hzb) 2*fd = 1/T; fd = 1/(2T); T = 1/400kHz; fd = 400kHz; f2 = 600kHz; f1 = 200kHz

Related to Bandwidth requirements if the modulation is BFSK?

1. What is BFSK modulation and how does it affect bandwidth requirements?

BFSK (Binary Frequency Shift Keying) modulation is a type of digital modulation technique where the carrier frequency is shifted between two discrete values to transmit binary data. The bandwidth requirements for BFSK depend on the data rate and the frequency separation between the two carrier frequencies.

2. How does the data rate affect bandwidth requirements in BFSK modulation?

The data rate directly affects the bandwidth requirements in BFSK modulation. Higher data rates require a wider bandwidth to accommodate the faster switching between the carrier frequencies.

3. What is the relationship between the frequency separation of the carrier frequencies and bandwidth requirements in BFSK modulation?

The frequency separation between the two carrier frequencies plays a crucial role in determining the bandwidth requirements in BFSK modulation. A larger frequency separation results in a wider bandwidth requirement, as it allows for more distinct frequency shifts between the two carriers.

4. Are there any factors other than data rate and carrier frequency separation that can affect bandwidth requirements in BFSK modulation?

Yes, other factors such as the type of transmission medium, interference from other signals, and the type of receiver used can also impact the bandwidth requirements in BFSK modulation.

5. How can the bandwidth requirements for BFSK modulation be calculated?

The bandwidth requirements for BFSK modulation can be calculated using the formula: bandwidth = (2 x data rate) + (2 x frequency separation). This takes into account the need for a guard band to prevent overlapping of the two carrier frequencies.